• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV Rate the D&D movie

Rate the D&D movie

• 1 *

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 2 **

• 3 ***

• 4 ****

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 *****

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • 6 ******

Votes: 21 8.2%
  • 7 *******

Votes: 53 20.8%
  • 8 ********

Votes: 101 39.6%
  • 9 *********

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • 10 **********

Votes: 19 7.5%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Per the rules in the core rules, Axebeaks are definitely viable mounts, and they have used them thst way in various child-focused merchandising the past decade.
OK, in the movie, I would have had people riding them, rather than having someone herd a handful of them through a field and having a pack of them standing around in the streets of Neverwinter. Neither of those did much for the brand other than to say "hey, big flightless birds!"

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Oh, and I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the wizard who appears to Simon while he's trying to attune is never referred to as "Elminster," just as Simon's great-great-grandfather.

The dialogue was a bit mumbly, so it's understandable that "mumble-mumble-ER" sounded like "Elminst-ER" to people, but that's not what's happening, per the dialogue script.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is from Storm King's Thunder, there are other depictions of various people riding Axebeaks, definitely something they have been pushing:

Triboar_attack-5e.jpg

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I still think there were more "look, it's a D&D world" bits than were strictly necessary -- what was with all the freaking axe beaks, a monster no one has particularly cared about? -- but this is definitely as good as a mid-tier (so better than the most recent phase) Marvel movie, which I think is still a surprising achievement.
Hey now. Axe-beaks are all over my game world, particularly in the tropical islands where dinosaurs still live. My players love them far more than horses, mules, ponies, and such.

Remove ads