Racial Paragon levels from UA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Bront said:
The legal disclaimer in UA says it's open content.
All right, that works for me. Still, technically, has to be approved.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Racial Paragon levels provide complications that I don't think LEW needs, such as an explosion of new classes. I vote No.

orsal

LEW Judge
I'll support this only if you can persuade me it really opens up new directions. Is there a character concept you could build with these classes that cannot be sufficiently captured with existing rules? If not, I'd rather not complicate LEW rules with excessive non-core material.

Bront

The man with the probe
I think that currently, there is a limiting factor of base classes and prestiege classes. While hopefully some more setting specific PrCs can be created, these paragon classes can be taken at any level, and allow a character to play up their race a bit.

Example characters. I had a concept for a wild talent character who eventualy develops into a warmind, but does not take any spellcasting or psionic classes before that. Currently, I'd have to take the Mindblade for a level, and that realy seems counter to the concept. With the paragon classes, I could take a level of Human, revaling in my human flexability and spirit, along with 4 levels of Fighter, and I can get into the Warmind.

A character who wants to be a Dwarven Craftsman, can take the Dwarf Paragon class, and use the crafting skills granted there, without having a class that isn't quite as appropriate.

A halfling acrobat that's not a thief works better using the Halfling Paragon.

There are many interesting reasons to take the class. The question is do the approval judges feel they are balance, that they add something, and that they don't add any additional complications, or feel not right in this setting.

This is a "I think we should look at this and consider it" proposal. Ultimately if it passes, great. If it doesn't, fine.

Manzanita

First Post
I need to read through it all. I know these paragon levels are popular b/c I see them in other threads. I'd never known quite what they were.

orsal

LEW Judge
After thinking it over, I'm still torn on this one.

I've decided that on the whole this isn't a bad idea. There's potential, the mini-classes aren't unbalanced, and in general it looks acceptable.

The one feature that disturbs me is the munchkin potential of the ability score boosts. With racial paragon levels, it's possible to have a halfling with 22 Dex, or a half-orc with 22 Str, at 3rd level.

Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily, because there are tradeoffs. But I don't want to open the door to new ways to minimax. Insofar as racial paragon classes give us more options to do creative things with characters, great. Insofar as they let a minimaxer focusing on a single statistic loose, I don't find them so appealing.

Thoughts?

Jdvn1

I'm with nimisgod -- these really just aren't necessary.

I'm not sure these should be considered without the Katara, though, but then we might even need Goblin.

Bront

The man with the probe
It's an interesting RP/Flexability issue. I thought I'd propose them.

Anyone who wants to Min/Max can already without too much difficulty (We don't disallow Fighter/Barb multiclass for example), and generaly, other than the stat, they are balanced against the core classes so they aren't even at PrC levels.

I'd worry more as to if they fit in the LEW world, not if they can be abused to Min/Max, as I don't think that's much worse than anything else out there.

Jdvn1

I don't see how an Elf is different to roleplay than an Elf 3. That's me, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads