• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Quick first pass at a soulknife as a rogue archetype.

Creamsteak

Explorer
So based on Mearls comments about the Psychic Warrior possibly becoming a fighter subclass, I was thinking about making a rogue subclass for the soul knife. This is a pretty quick pass, probably too strong as it seems most rogue archetypes don't have much combat power and this one kinda went that way. Essentially just a thought.

Soulknife

Never caught unarmed, the soulknife is the literal interpretation of using the power of the mind as a weapon. Creating a mind blade is the core of the soulknife.

Mind Blade

Starting at third level, you can use a bonus action to create a semisolid blade composed of psychic energy distilled from your mind. The blade is identical in all ways (except visually) to a short sword. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming Resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage. You may dismiss the weapon (no action required) at any time.

Psychic Strike

As an action, you can imbue your mind blade with destructive psychic energy. While imbued, your next successful attack with your mind blade is automatically considered a sneak attack dealing 2d8 damage and your blade returns to normal.

The amount of the extra damage increases as you gain levels in this class, increasing the damage dice of your sneak attack to d8s when you use this ability.

Speed of Thought

Starting at 9th level, you have the ability to cast the spell Haste once targeting only yourself. You can't use this ability again until you finish a long rest.

Shape Mind Blade

By 13th level, you can better control the size, shape, and quantity of weapons created with your mind blade ability. Your mind blade can be made into up to two of any melee or thrown weapon you are proficient in. In addition, creating your mind blade is now a free action.

Knife to the Soul

When you reach 17th level, you become capable of deeply wounding creatures with your mind blade. When you attack and hit a creature with your mind blade while imbued with your Psychic Strike, you can force it to make a Charisma saving throw (DC 8 + your Dexterity modifier + your proficiency bonus.) On a failed save, your attack deals damage and the creature has disadvantage on all attack rolls and saving throws until it takes a short rest. You can't use this ability again until you finish a long rest.

Xeviat

Hero
I think you actually did pretty well. I like my soul knives to have more tricks, so the lack of psionic feats (which could be added, but they'd eat my ASIs) wouldn't work well for me.

I'd rather build them with smaller abilities so I could give some powers: walking on water/walls, short teleports, etc.

I don't think yours is overpowered. Your main ability is +1 to sneak attack damage, but that's only going to work once per combat without spending an action to reset. It might be a little weaker than the assassin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove ads