• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionics

VannATLC

First Post
Bandreus said:
Sorry but, WotC is enforcing class roles into the party, so odds are classes in the same role will look very similar, flavored by hers own style and powers, of course.

I think psions will be a lot more interesting in 4E. Just consider the designers purpusely left out many illusion/mind related spells out of the arcane power list.

Telekinesis users will be great controllers (I'm pushing ya with my minda!!!) and so on.
And crystals are going to be eve deeper related to psions, imo

I said types and not roles for a reason.

I don't want a psioic rogue or a psionic fighter.

A psionic mentalist who utilises illusions and charming effects to control, or one who utilises reiki or somesuch to heal and bolster.. They are find. The roles are not class types.

There was no were near enough distinction behind the psionic classes and their mundance counterparts, last time I had anything to do with it.

And power points.. well.. it always pissed me off that they could do power points, but not Mana >.> But Vancian is gone now. So.

hong

WotC's bitch
Ppl, this thread is for the talking about snot. Pls talk about snot, not the possible mechanical similarities to or differences from the known classes that any putative psionic classes might have. Thxb.

VannATLC

First Post
*grumble*

Fine.

I'm ok with the snot, actually. Although I'm not sure you can build a really rational case for why only psionics would utilise it/generate it. Psionics really has a requirement to be all pervasive, or not at all.

And once you start crowding the mechanics around arcane systems, you end up with too many sciences for world manipulation. Like having nanotech.

Actually, some of the snot-capabilities could be interesting. >.>

1of3

Explorer
Snot, Time Control and Clairvoyance. That's what D&D Psionics is all about. Mind Control is for the Bard, and all the rest the Wizard can have. Give me Snot, Time Control and Clairvoyance.

nick012000

First Post
1of3 said:
Snot, Time Control and Clairvoyance. That's what D&D Psionics is all about. Mind Control is for the Bard, and all the rest the Wizard can have. Give me Snot, Time Control and Clairvoyance.

I'd add Space Control in there as well, along with Precognition (which fits right alongside Clairvoyance anyway), and I'd say you're about right.

Madacoda

First Post
I do believe, although I can't find the right source now, that WoTC has said that there will be more power sources next to arcane, divine and martial. The two coming first would be primal (druid, barbarian) and psionic power sources.

Stogoe

First Post
I'm with glass. Ditch the element blasts, they just don't make any sense and they smell bad.
EDIT: [Psychic] damage is probably okay, but no [fire] or [cold] or [radiant] or [acid] etc. Blech.

I'm okay with Astral Construct, but the other snot powers can go. I also don't want wuxia psions or psychoportation.

Give me Astral Construct, Telepathy (charm/illusion), and Clairsentience, and leave the bang flash wizard powers with the wizard.

nick012000

First Post
Stogoe said:
I'm with glass. Ditch the element blasts, they just don't make any sense and they smell bad.
EDIT: [Psychic] damage is probably okay, but no [fire] or [cold] or [radiant] or [acid] etc. Blech.

I'm okay with Astral Construct, but the other snot powers can go. I also don't want wuxia psions or psychoportation.

Give me Astral Construct, Telepathy (charm/illusion), and Clairsentience, and leave the bang flash wizard powers with the wizard.

I, personally, love the psychoportation and the "snot powers". They're what defines psions for me; telepathy is for ponces. The only thing a real psion needs to use it for is to make his mind into a fortress. I want my psions able to kill people in a dozen different ways with nothing more than thier mind, each more painful than the last. Burning, freezing, shocking, slicing, piercing...

Last edited:

Kahuna Burger

First Post
I don't care what imagery they use, but the telepathic part of psionics will never work for me without some passive as well as active powers. A telepath is telepathic, it's not something they decide to do for a few minutes at a time 4 or 5 times a day. They need a reactive perception check for intelligent creatures in their area, massive bonuses to sense motive, and free action Hunch and Sense Enchantment checks. Then they would start to look like a telepath. Oh and the telepathy special ability, with range based on level/power.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads