• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Profane weapon

hornedturtle

First Post
I was recently reading through the book Libris Mortis and have a question about the Profane weapon ability. It does an extra 1d6 damage against living creatures because it is "sheathed in negative energy". Does this mean that it would heal 1d6 to a undead creature? And if so the Sacred weapon ability should do the same for living creatures. These are +1 weapon abilities so could cheaply be made into healing items. For example a small dagger only does 1d3 damage and if Merciful would only do nonlethal damage.

Wolf72

Explorer
I don't think they work that way ... I can't quote anything, unless the rules said something to the effect you're looking for I'd say no. Chill touch and Cure spells have specific wording to that effect, the passage you have doesn't seem to have anything except for what happens to certain creatures struck.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
hornedturtle said:
I was recently reading through the book Libris Mortis and have a question about the Profane weapon ability. It does an extra 1d6 damage against living creatures because it is "sheathed in negative energy". Does this mean that it would heal 1d6 to a undead creature?
Unless the text says "negative energy damage", it's not negative energy damage.

+1d6 damage to living critters means just that: +1d6 damage to living critters. Nothing more.

Flavor bows to balance, in this case.

Cheers, -- N

Notmousse

First Post
You could also just use a sap, which already does non-lethal damage.

Though I would suggest against it. It's just silly to say 'Lemme beat you senseless to make you feel better!'.

moritheil

First Post
You have to look very carefully at wording if you want to pull that trick. Most such abilities include "to living creatures" in their wording.

glass

(he, him)
Nifft said:
Unless the text says "negative energy damage", it's not negative energy damage.
And even if the text does say "negative energy damage", it is still just that. It doesn't heal unless it says it does.

glass.

Remove ads