• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Printing spellcards

Festivus

First Post
I have managed to discover my problem with the front / back not aligning. Seems if I have a printer that feeds the paper sideways -- long edge (which is pretty much all my HP laser printers - LJ9000, LJ4+, LJSeries2, LJ5si) I end up with the front to back not aligning. However, if I use my inkjet printer (either my Canon i960 or my HP Officejet) that feeds from the top -- short edge, that it lines up much better.

Also, the quality of the print on my inkjet seems far superior to the laser, probably because they are designed with photo paper in mind and can handle the cardstock better. The bummer is that it costs more and I have to manually flip the sheet over but it's not a big deal.

Any hopes of the Spell Compendium spells getting in there? It's probably a d20 licensing thing but I can hope can't I? I don't mind typing them in manually in the interim.

Keep up the good work.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Luckily, I'm not having these problems!

I've also noticed that empty cigarette packets are the perfect size for storing various cards - enables you to divide them up how you like.

Flyspeck23

First Post
Festivus said:
I have managed to discover my problem with the front / back not aligning. Seems if I have a printer that feeds the paper sideways -- long edge (which is pretty much all my HP laser printers - LJ9000, LJ4+, LJSeries2, LJ5si) I end up with the front to back not aligning. However, if I use my inkjet printer (either my Canon i960 or my HP Officejet) that feeds from the top -- short edge, that it lines up much better.

Duplex printers are one of the causes for misalignment (the other being Acrobat Reader 6). Those printers should work fine if you change on one side after the other.

Or aren't those duplex printers? If not, I've got another reason to add to the Cards FAQ...

Festivus said:
Any hopes of the Spell Compendium spells getting in there? It's probably a d20 licensing thing but I can hope can't I? I don't mind typing them in manually in the interim.
Not going to happen, for pretty much the reason you stated. Sorry.

Flyspeck23

First Post
Morrus said:
I've also noticed that empty cigarette packets are the perfect size for storing various cards - enables you to divide them up how you like.

Hehe. Empty cigarette packets are alot easier to create than the "official" boxes. Great idea!
Then again, smoking's not good for your health ;)

Festivus

First Post
I'll test it again without using the duplexer and let you know how it goes. I have a new printer coming that feeds short edge with a duplexer, I am curious to know how that one works.

For sure though, LJ5si with duplexer and LJ9000 with duplexer both misalign. I will try them both with manual feed. As I think about it more, the LJ4+ never worked... kept jamming on the cardstock, I'll just rule that one as mechanical problems.

I understand about the SC spells, I am getting pretty good at typing them in myself (thanks to your saving the card ability on the generics!)

edit: A quick test shows that the LJ9000 without using the duplexer, manual feed, auto rotate and center enabled on plain paper worked. However when I used cardstock I still had a right to left alignment problem between front and back.

edit again: Don't smoke kids, it's healthier to suck on the tailpipe of a car.

Last edited:

Flyspeck23

First Post
Festivus said:
edit: A quick test shows that the LJ9000 without using the duplexer, manual feed, auto rotate and center enabled on plain paper worked. However when I used cardstock I still had a right to left alignment problem between front and back.
Thanks!

The misalignment seems to be caused by the cardstock, and to some degree that's to be expected - but it shouldn't be that bad. Hmmm...

edit again: Don't smoke kids, it's healthier to suck on the tailpipe of a car.
Been there, done that.

Sephera

First Post
Spell Cards - Spell Compendium

Are we permitted to share saved files from the blank spell cards that have been typed with Spell Compendium spells? If a few people got together and typed different types/levels of spells, it would go much faster.

It's just a thought. As I've said before, I'm still new (I'm not sure the ink has dried on my license for the complete Spell Cards :lol: ) and I don't know whether this type of thing would be permitted.

Please, no flaming. I just got my flame proof suit cleaned and I would hate to mess it up again. ;)

-Sephera

Flyspeck23

First Post
Sephera said:
Are we permitted to share saved files from the blank spell cards that have been typed with Spell Compendium spells? If a few people got together and typed different types/levels of spells, it would go much faster.

It's just a thought. As I've said before, I'm still new (I'm not sure the ink has dried on my license for the complete Spell Cards :lol: ) and I don't know whether this type of thing would be permitted.

As these aren't OGC (or are they?), it isn't possible. You're not allowed to distribute them.

Even if you'd want to share OGC spells, it's still not possible: the OGL would need to be updated, among other things.

IANAL :eek:

Additionally, it ain't legal to distribute the PDF, although it's free. One reason for that is to keep TOGC out of any unnecessary lawsuits :uhoh:

Hope that's all not too much of a disappointment.

Sephera

First Post
Ok

I figured I would ask before I did anything to stay out of trouble. I appreciate the quick response. It gives me something to do while on bedrest, so I have plenty of time to create cards for myself.

Thank you SO much for allowing them to be saved!

-Sephera

Sephera

First Post
Another question

I've read the FAQ on printing Spell Cards from TOGC site. I found my inital error in printing spell cards, my printer was resizing them to fit the margings (Bad Printer). I BELIEVE that they should line up properly. I am using Adobe 7.0.

I'm going to try updating my printer drivers next. Back in a minute or 5. :lol:

-Sephera

Remove ads