• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Prestige classes in Next?

pathfinderq1

First Post
So way back in the days of 3e/3.5, one of the mechanics that came out in the DMG was the idea of prestige classes. In 4e, they were replaced (mostly) by the idea of paragon paths. So now that the 5e DMG is on the horizon, does anyone know if prestige classes are likely to be in there? Or are they going to be in 5e at all? Was there anything in any of the playtest packets like that, or in the development rumor mill?

If not, given that 5e is far more similar to 3.x than it is to 4e, has anyone thought about house-ruling or building their own PrCs? Admittedly, a lot of games might not have gotten that far just yet, but some might have, and some players and DMs like to plan ahead...

ProphetSword

Explorer
The rumor is that prestige classes will definitely be in the DMG. Can't confirm it at this moment, but I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned. Maybe someone else has a link that can confirm it.

Couldn't tell you which prestige classes might be in there though.

the Jester

Legend
The rumor is that prestige classes will definitely be in the DMG. Can't confirm it at this moment, but I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned.

This rumor is almost certainly wrong. I asked Mearls about prestige classes on Twitter a little bit before the PH released, and he said basically that, with feats being so much 'bigger' now, they ate a lot of the design space for prestige classes, and the team was going to wait a while after release to see what the landscape looked like before trying to dial in where prestige classes fit in 5e, if anywhere.

So way back in the days of 3e/3.5, one of the mechanics that came out in the DMG was the idea of prestige classes. In 4e, they were replaced (mostly) by the idea of paragon paths. So now that the 5e DMG is on the horizon, does anyone know if prestige classes are likely to be in there? Or are they going to be in 5e at all? Was there anything in any of the playtest packets like that, or in the development rumor mill?

If not, given that 5e is far more similar to 3.x than it is to 4e, has anyone thought about house-ruling or building their own PrCs? Admittedly, a lot of games might not have gotten that far just yet, but some might have, and some players and DMs like to plan ahead...
At the moment, there's no word about their inclusion. DMG might have suggestions about creating the "feel" of that element of 3E/3.5E, but (IIRC) Mearls publicly stated that PrCs are not currently planned for inclusion in the 5E ruleset.

In 5E, I think the closest functionality is matched by 5E's approach to feats; these days, feats are (mostly) powerful and character-defining, like PrCs were meant to be.

Personally, I think it's for the best. More classes means more potential break-points for game balance, and 3.5E was a mess that way.

ProphetSword

Explorer
Sorry for the misinformation, then. I was basing it off things WotC was saying back before the Basic Rules relased, so a lot has probably changed. Hope I didn't get your hopes up.

Nivenus

First Post
I kind of like prestige classes but will admit that archetypes/subclasses and 5e's "bigger" feats fulfill a lot of the same purposes. Still, neither really fulfills the role prestige classes (and paragon paths) had in representing special organizations or fields of training a character had to earn their way into. And that's something that might still be worth adding to 5e (though perhaps outside of the core rules and perhaps only setting-specific).

One thing that might be interesting is implementing something similar to backgrounds, only at higher levels. Like a mini-class that doesn't level up necessarily but gives you a few extra proficiencies or abilities and adds an extra bit of roleplaying prompts as well. Unlike backgrounds you wouldn't be able to acquire them at 1st level though and you'd have to meet some kind of requirement (presumably a mix of roleplaying and mechanics) before acquiring one.

So instead of having a separate class for Purple Dragon knights, you'd get the Purple Dragon knight prestige packet, which would give you the ability to rally your allies and maybe a mount but wouldn't otherwise change your character's features and traits all that much.

Mr Fixit

Explorer
I always thought of the subclasses you choose at level 3 to be prestige classes of sorts.

Subclasses are a stroke of genius. WotC can release a considerable amount of new subclasses in future products without running the risk of (significantly) breaking the game and running roughshod over balance. The modular approach to them, being integrated into an existing class structure, is a great way to go. Though I'd like to see WotC being a bit bolder in implementing them. Champion and Battle Master, for instance, manage to be quite different in feel thanks to the ever-present superiority dice. Much more interesting that way than the usual different abilities at fixed levels some other subclasses get.

Crothian

First Post
I hope they don't come back. The game doesn't need them as the subclass system fills that same function. Prestige classes in 3e were a neat idea but it was simply not done well and quickly went from optional to practically required.

Remove ads