• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Preferred Weapon?

Roberration

First Post
I've been doing some research into the most powerful/legendary weapons in DnD recently, and I found it interesting that artifact status wasn't necessarily an indicator of power. Now, I understand that artifacts aren't solely decided based on power level, but I was surprised, for example, that Blackrazor was not an artifact. I was curious to see if people had favorite weapons and if so, whether or not they were artifacts.

(I ranked weapons based on power-level here, and this is where I found this interesting trend)

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
I've always liked writing Longsword +3 on my character sheet.

I'm also partial to arming characters with a Thames mace.
Thames mace.jpg

Other favorite weapons* are:
the Thompson SMG (preferably with the drum magazine),
the BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle)
The German MG34/42/& 43 from WWII
Light Sabers,
the Meltagun from the 40k universe
meltagun.gif
And, last but not least, Mjolnir

*Some of these might not be applicable in a D&D game.

Sacrosanct

Legend
My favorite D&D weapons were:

Dancing sword
Mace of disruption
Hammer of thunderbolts
Rod of lordly might (maybe because my name is Rod, and as a teen playing 1e, I used it to make crude jokes lol)

Maybe not the most powerful weapons, but the most fun that were powerful. Hammer of thunderbolts is probably my favorite.

Len

Prodigal Member
Here are a couple of my characters' preferred weapons. Neither is artifact level (and neither is from D&D).

Shadowrun: Attitude Adjuster - An Ares Alpha assault rifle with a couple of off-the-shelf mods that made my character feel like a full metal badass (along with a bunch of cyberware).

Pathfinder: Everlight - My character found a mithral scimitar in a dungeon. Then he got religion, and since the scimitar is the favoured weapon of Sarenrae he had it enchanted and engraved with the Dawnlady's symbol.

Draegn

Explorer
I once had a small mace, that if I used it to stun and the victim was rendered unconscious from the attack. The victim would have to make a saving throw or have it's gender switched and race changed to a random result. It gave new meaning to character assassination.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've been doing some research into the most powerful/legendary weapons in DnD recently, and I found it interesting that artifact status wasn't necessarily an indicator of power. Now, I understand that artifacts aren't solely decided based on power level, but I was surprised, for example, that Blackrazor was not an artifact. I was curious to see if people had favorite weapons and if so, whether or not they were artifacts.

(I ranked weapons based on power-level here, and this is where I found this interesting trend)

Your post is virtually invisible to some. Here’s why, and how to fix it:
https://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?348563-Dark-Text-on-a-Dark-Background-Tutorial

Raith5

Adventurer
In 4e my Ranger had a Demonbane Greatbow which was a +6 weapon (I guess it would be +3 in 5e) but not an artifact. As its name suggests, it was useful against demons which were extremely plentiful in high level 4e.

Remove ads