• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pre-generated characters for one-shot game; sex and gender breakdown. Opinions wanted.

Emirikol

Adventurer
I'm running a one-shot dungeon crawl for an upcoming virtual game convention. I am providing pre-generated characters with back-story. The audience is: Virtual Greyhawk Con.

The characters and their backgrounds are deliberately written as non-gender referenced, but I included masculine and feminine selectable art.

It got me thinking: is there a socially-required ratio? I don't have time to create art for the 72 different genders for 6 different characters and there is no story reason for doing so.

Traditionally, World of Greyhawk adventures would have 5/6 characters as masculine and one feminine. Should I just stick with tradition? It is 95% likely all of my players will be older male players.

Characters:
(knighted) Kerreck the Gray, Oeridian, Fighter (Champion)
Aramil, wood elf, Fighter (Eldritch Knight)
Evendur the Theurigst, Oeridian, Wizard
Kam bojo, gnome Apprentice to Evendur (Monk/Wizard)
'Courser', dwarf, Ranger (Gloom Stalker)
Theren the Trickster, half-elf, Rogue (Arcane Trickster)

Last edited:

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
A one shot? I would play anything for a one time deal.

Long term campaigns are totally different. Do a mix and you can’t lose. Uneven split? Big deal.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm running a one-shot dungeon crawl for an upcoming virtual game convention. I am providing pre-generated characters with back-story. The audience is: Virtual Greyhawk Con.

The characters and their backgrounds are deliberately written as non-gender referenced, but I included masculine and feminine selectable art.

It got me thinking: is there a socially-required ratio? I don't have time to create art for the 72 different genders for 6 different characters and there is no story reason for doing so.

Traditionally, World of Greyhawk adventures would have 5/6 characters as masculine and one feminine. Should I just stick with tradition? It is 95% likely all of my players will be older male players.

Characters:
(knighted) Kerreck the Gray, Oeridian, Fighter (Champion)
Aramil, wood elf, Fighter (Eldritch Knight)
Evendur the Theurigst, Oeridian, Wizard
Kam bojo, gnome Apprentice to Evendur (Monk/Wizard)
'Courser', dwarf, Ranger (Gloom Stalker)
Theren the Trickster, half-elf, Rogue (Arcane Trickster)
I would go 4(male)/2(female) with the number of women who play now. The number has gone way up since Greyhawk, but I don't think it's 50/50 yet.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I, for one, would like to know what the 72 different genders are. Also, yeah, don't create separate art for each one.

I'd guess the socially required ratio is 45% male, 45% female, and 10% unspecified.

Mezuka

Hero
I, for one, would like to know what the 72 different genders are. Also, yeah, don't create separate art for each one.

I'd guess the socially required ratio is 45% male, 45% female, and 10% unspecified.
72? That is the mean of the '+' after LGBTQ. :p

Battlemaster

Villager

I think he was making a joke with the 72 genders reff. Jokes are an outdated concept in modern America that have been declared offensive and therefore forbidden.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️

Socially required? No. But since you don't know who will sit down at the virtual table, it's best to have flexible options.
Is this even a tradition as in is deliberately recognized and followed? Or is it just a reflection of people not happening to include more female characters?

Ultimately, if you've got masculine and female selectable art for, presumably, the virtual table top - then what else needs to be done? Just give them a choice of the token art they want to use from those 2 options per character.

Remove ads