• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 potion of LONGEVITY (3e)

tleilaxu

First Post
who has a 3e version of the potion of longevity. anyone else have any items that provide longevity? i assume it would be at least an 8th or 9th level spell.

come on people, show me what you've got

the Jester

Legend
There's an old 2e pc for whom potions of longevity have a lot of role-playing tie-in, so I will still have them... They're elixers, which are like better versions of potions... I haven't actually statted them out yet though cuz that character's not active in the campaign I'm currently running, but you'll need brew elixer to make them (a custom feat, allows you to brew potions of up to 6th level spells; prereqs are brew potion, 11th level caster, greater restoration... as a 6th level spell? Hmm... I need to work out some details here...)

Just add a third feat called "Greater Alchemical Creations" that covers spells up to 9th level. It would have the other two as a prerequisite along with a few other items that make it very rare and difficult.

If you did this I would start requiring that potions created from more powerful spells would require exotic material components. Maybe an exiler of longevity requires the brain fluids of a dragon turtle.

the Jester

Legend
Actually, part of the role-playing involved getting the material component for the potion of longevity: the blood of a lich...

Greythax

First Post
Well, I haven't much experience in 2e, but in 1e (showing my age here) the potion of longevity (basically de-aged you 5 years) had the component requirements of A.) a pint of elf blood for the arcane version or B.) The hair of a saint for the devine version. In 1e, they were pretty expensive. If I were to make a 3e version, I would base it off of a fairly high spell, say limited wish. I am not aware of any spell that specifically removes age, but I think a limited wish would do the trick.

Greythax.

James McMurray

First Post
There's actually no need for a custom feat. With Brew Potion and Craft Wondrous Item, you can already make higher level potions, as per Tome and Blood.

tleilaxu

First Post
i think there should be an experience cost. Longevity should be a new eighth or ninth level spell requiring experience to cast. knowledge of this spell allows you to brew potions of longevity (with brew potion) create an amulet of longevity (with c.w.i.), etc etc...

i say experience = 1000 x (number of years / 5)

or something like that

rhammer2

First Post
Actually there were two potions. A potion of youth would remove years, a potion of longevity would add extra years to your maximum possible age.

Greythax said:
Well, I haven't much experience in 2e, but in 1e (showing my age here) the potion of longevity (basically de-aged you 5 years) had the component requirements of A.) a pint of elf blood for the arcane version or B.) The hair of a saint for the devine version. In 1e, they were pretty expensive. If I were to make a 3e version, I would base it off of a fairly high spell, say limited wish. I am not aware of any spell that specifically removes age, but I think a limited wish would do the trick.

Greythax.

Last edited:

Greythax

First Post
rhammer2 said:
Actually there were two potions. A potion of youth would remove years, a potion of longevity would add extra years to your maximum possible age.

Nope, from page 123 of the 1e DMG: "A potion of longevity reduces the characters age from 1-12 years on being imbied."

Potion of youth was in unearthed arcana, it did a max of 5 years I think didn't look it up, neither raised maximum age. Only druids could do that.

Greythax

Remove ads