• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

point pool for PCGen 2.4.8

jester47

First Post
I have looked at this for about an hour and it is still baffleing me.

For the point buy option how do you set the pool points?

Aaron

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
The above suggestion will let you change the cost of purchasing stats, not the pool size. You can't really set the pool size in PCGen (28pt buy for example). PCGen lets you spend any amount of points, it's up to you to make sure that you keep to your campaign's limit.

To use the purchase method, follow these steps...

From the Abilities tab:

Click on the "Purchase Mode" check box, then click on the "Zero" button.

Now the "Pool" window should read how many points have been spent on the current statistics displayed in the upper left.

Use the plus and minus buttons for each stat to raise or lower them until you have spent the desired number of points.

I think that once you have set this preference all of your future characters will have their stats set to 8 with a pool of zero points (you can spend as many points as you like...)

Last edited:

jester47

First Post
Seems to me that I should be able to click on the checkbox for point buy and then go to the box for the point pool and type in the number of points that I want the character to be. It does not seem like that would be a hard thing to code. As it stands it is very counter intuitive. Nothing like the way I would code it.

Aaron.

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
jester47 said:
Seems to me that I should be able to click on the checkbox for point buy and then go to the box for the point pool and type in the number of points that I want the character to be. It does not seem like that would be a hard thing to code. As it stands it is very counter intuitive. Nothing like the way I would code it.

PCGen is the epitome of counter-intuitive.

I always find it a chore to use this program. Unfortunately, it is the only thing out there that can come close to creating correct characters for 3e. But for me, using it is about as much fun as having my teeth drilled.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Laslo Tremaine said:

PCGen is the epitome of counter-intuitive.

I always find it a chore to use this program. Unfortunately, it is the only thing out there that can come close to creating correct characters for 3e. But for me, using it is about as much fun as having my teeth drilled.

As a representative of the pcgen team I would like to know why? What would cause this to be this way and how can we make it better, easier, etc. ?

jester47

First Post
You guys have made a lot of improvements in the program in the last few releases, and I truely expect more. 2.6 or 3.0 will be great I suspect.

However, I do ask:

Why dont you try to avoid the big list concept? It is sort of overwhelming. Why not use drop down menus? Is this somthing specific to java? (I don't use java in programs I have made.)

Also, why arn't dragons included in the races? I mean if you have Baboons you might as well have dragons.

Is the current version beta? There seems to be a lot missing in the inventory area. Example: Mithral Shirt.

Aaron

Mynex

First Post
jester47 said:
You guys have made a lot of improvements in the program in the last few releases, and I truely expect more. 2.6 or 3.0 will be great I suspect.

However, I do ask:

Why dont you try to avoid the big list concept? It is sort of overwhelming. Why not use drop down menus? Is this somthing specific to java? (I don't use java in programs I have made.)

Also, why arn't dragons included in the races? I mean if you have Baboons you might as well have dragons.

Is the current version beta? There seems to be a lot missing in the inventory area. Example: Mithral Shirt.

Aaron

The GUI is continuing to improve and will do so as more suggestions and feedback are generated. :) The joys of Open Source allow for anyone to go in and play with things until their hearts content. :)

Big list? the Source? That's been fixed into a drop down and by game mode (D&D, WoT, Sovereign Stone, etc) so it's much more manageable now. The Race tab will soon get that makeover as well, so when you have all the races listed, it will be an expandable tree view.

As for Dragons, there's still kinks that are being worked out coding wise to fully implement a lot of things... the primary goal of PCGen is to FULLY support ALL d20 products... this creates some, uhrm, interesting coding dilemma's to say the least. :p

As for beta, yes it is still considered a beta product... the plans for PCGen are to have a Rock Solid Stable release for GenCon, that will be updated as things are 100% completely supported code wise and list file wise. There will also be an ongoing beta release to test all the new features, bells, whistles, toys, and gadgets that the publishers toss out there.

A lot of people slam PCGen on a regular basis, and that's fine, that's their perogitive. But they slam it for reason months old, and that's not exactly fair, as PCGen evolves weekly (and is released weekly).

While still not perfect, it is getting better with every release, as more of the complicated coding issues are resolved, more products are added, the UI is nearing completion, and plans are underway to have a solid release and beta releases on an ongoing fashion.

I would say to all those that wantonly slam PCGen, if you haven't looked at it lately, have the courtesy to do so. You'll still find problems, I'm sure, _I_ find problems, but you can either complain about them, or you can join the growing community (Well over 1600 people on our main yahoo site and 4000+ downloads a week of the releases) and help to find and resolve these issues.

Henry

Autoexreginated
jester47 said:
...There seems to be a lot missing in the inventory area. Example: Mithral Shirt.

Jester, are you familiar with the Customize item option in the inventory tab? Just right-click on the item in question (Chain Shirt in this case) and customize the item. Mithril is one of the properties in the customized lists, along with any special property you can imagine.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads