• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playing online with voice support

Animus

Explorer
Hello fellow gamers,

I few guys from my old group and I desire to play some good old fashioned 3.5 online. I have played via OpenRPG in the past, but am open to something new. I'm looking for something that is voice enabled or even supports cameras, but is inexpensive (free being preferable).

Any suggestions?

edemaitre

Explorer
Virtual gaming

I used Fantasy Grounds for much of this past summer to role-play by teleconference with two remote players (I'm in Boston, and they're in St. Louis and New York City). Lately, we've switched to RPGtonight running alongside Skype, both of which are free. For freehand drawing, we use Skype's Whiteboard plug-in. Happy gaming!

Treebore

First Post
I use SKYPE and Open RPG. Only OpenRPG ticks me off with its erratic freezing up. It seems to be getting better lately, so apparently the fixes are being effective.

Both of the versions I use are free.

I'm sure Ventrilo works great too, since I used that for AoE3 online.

rvalle

First Post
Another Fantasy Grounds guy here. We run it along with Skype (free) for voice.

Been using FG and Voice just about every Thursday night for two and a half years now as we slog though the Worlds Largest Dungeon.

rv

FalcWP

Explorer
Another vote for Fantasy Grounds and Skype here. I've been running a bi-weekly game, though right now its edging more towards a weekly game while our other DM gets his new game together, for over half a year now using them. We've been using Skype and Fantasy Grounds for quite a while (couple years now, I believe), and it works pretty well. It may break down a bit if you have a lot of folks playing... I think our max has been like five and the DM, but that still went pretty well.

Dubya

Explorer
My gaming group in IL just finished our first game with some friends in NC. We just used Yahoo messanger's voice chat and web cams. We were curious about how it would work at first, but I have to say it worked great. We just used our battle mat and minis and everything worked great.

Dubya

Stoat

Adventurer
My group has been playing online for a little less than a year. We were using Klooge, but recently switched to d20Pro. We use Teamspeak for chat.

I can't recommend Klooge, but so far (2-3 sessions) d20Pro has worked well.

Remove ads