• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Planescape shows up in the wild. Tease from Chris Perkins.

Kurotowa

Legend
Why even come to a thread about a new release then? You don't like the art, you're sure the quality will be horrible... well then why are you even involved in a conversation around it, it seems your mind is made up.
It's well documented that some ex-fans will stick around and hate-watch the thing they used to love, complaining about it constantly and being as toxic as possible, rather than simply walk away and find something new to enjoy. While the term was coined for fans of TV series, I have absolutely observed the same thing with certain D&D ex-fans who won't admit or accept the "ex" part.

Alignment still has to be in, they still Divide things in a Upper, Celestial Planes and Lower, Fiendish Planes and Neutral Planes. I mean it's the same structure so there is no reason to believe they won't use alignment. Alightment is less important to MORTAL creatures, it it seem matters to Outsiders like fiends and Celestials., Slaads, and Modrons.

Dire Bare

Legend
Not liking how someone's artwork has evolved is odd? Really?
No. But that's not what I said, was it?

Nobody here is giving you and @QuentinGeorge flak for not caring for the cover. Nobody.

You don't like the direction DT took in his art style over the years? Okay. You don't care for the cover art on the new book? Okay.

It's that you are conflating "I don't like this" with "This is an objectively bad idea, what where they thinking?"

And you do this thread, after thread, after thread . . .

WotC was brilliant to hire DT to do the covers for the new Planescape books. Will they make everybody happy? Of course not. But it was a brilliant move hiring an expensive, popular artist to do the cover art for the revamp of a setting his name is intrinsically linked to. It wasn't their only choice, but it was a brilliant decision.

The fact that you don't like the covers is okay, but doesn't change that.

It's not important to Sigil, but it's the skeletal structure the Outer Planes are built on and a fair amount really don't have a theme to them at all without their alignment identity. Mechanus is the Lawful Neutral Plane, if Mechanus isn't about Lawfulness, then what is its theme?

There are even more dependant upon alightment for identity planes, like Arcadia and Biopotia, without alignment they are extremely boring and have no identity at all. The more Chaotic Good planes don't suffer nearly as much from this as they draw deeply from Mythological roots more (really only Mount Celestial aka Heaven really seems to have a sold flavour Lawful God wise), but Aborea becomes Greece's Feywild, Beastlands become Lion's Safari, and Ysgard become Viking Village.
Alignment still exists, Mechancus is going to be lawful

darjr

I crit!
The format is a bad fit, but opening up the IP on DMGuild means that one product doesn’t need to carry the IP. Curious what old hands will put out unshackled from too much editorial oversight ala Greenwood or Baker.
While true, and I agree, I keep seeing people talk about Dragonlance as if that stuff doesn't exist for Dragonlance. I imagine no matter what comes out at DMSGuild it'll be the same kind of thing for Planescape.

I think DMSGuild needs to advertise it more.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads