• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Permanent shape-shifting in 3.5

Artoomis

First Post
I have two suggestions:

First - avoid this situation in the future by only allowing reincarnation to give forms that you and your players wish to live with. Avoid too much randomness, and avoid any ECL-type characters unless they match the ECL of the reincarnated character.

Second - Plant a unique item in the game - a potion of "true form," a statue that tranforms you, etc. Make it the stuff of legends, perhaps. In any case, make it the groups next quest and there you go. problem solved.

Nareau

Explorer
I kinda have a problem with having PC's only come back in forms they're ok with. I think Reincarnate should be a risky spell at best. But that's another discussion entirely.

And, unfortunately, the group is in the middle of the RttToEE. We've already taken a long time with it, and I'm not too keen on having this be the object of an entirely different, long-term quest. I'd prefer to use existing spells/effects. But that might not be a great option.

At any rate, thanks for the ideas!

Spider

Artoomis

First Post
Spider said:
I kinda have a problem with having PC's only come back in forms they're ok with. I think Reincarnate should be a risky spell at best. But that's another discussion entirely.

And, unfortunately, the group is in the middle of the RttToEE. We've already taken a long time with it, and I'm not too keen on having this be the object of an entirely different, long-term quest. I'd prefer to use existing spells/effects. But that might not be a great option.

At any rate, thanks for the ideas!

Spider

1) Making Reincarnate risky is fine, but ALL the complaints about Reincarnate have centered on DM's having to deal with weird stuff that he or she allowed to happen. Solution? Keep the weird stuff out. Players will still have to live with the results, but it won't be too weird - like a swarm of bees, for example. Fun for a bit, but it gets old for player and DM alike.

2) No regular existing spells/effects will work except maybe Wish (though it would fall into the "weird stuff might happen" category) or Miracle.

3) Make something up. C'mon man - you're the Dungeon Master. Be the Master - make something up. Perhaps a scroll of Wish or Miracle? It could certainly be placed in RttToEE.

Last edited:

Remove ads