• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Part 2 of Tsjocanth

carborundum

Adventurer
Just spotted part two on the WOTC site. After some trouble logging in, I was able to download part 2 "Iggwilv's Legacy".

Strangely, it was only possible to download Parts 1 & 2 together. They must have too much bandwidth!
EDIT: Part one hasn't been reformatted with bookmarks or anything though. All the encounters are in the encounter block format at the end of the chapter too. I still don't like it.

Link HERE

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
One of the things I loved about the original S4 were all the wilderness encounters. Some of them were essentially small adventures in themselves (the bandit camp) or led to other major adventures (the gnome settlement that could be the hook to run WG4). While there are some here in this update of S4, I miss the sheer variety of the encounters from the original. Dragons, hobgoblin and dwarf armies, barbarian tribes, avalanches, patrols from bordering nations - I really dug all that stuff. The ones in this update are interesting, don't get me wrong, but I would've liked more of them, and with more variety.

carborundum

Adventurer
I could moan some more about releasing tactical encounter format digitally and not bothering to bookmark where the encounters are, or about there only being one map and not an extra version for players/ printing/ whatever) or all the other things a digitally released scenario could/ should have but I'm not like that.

The guys were 'stoked' about writing it - it's not their fault if the format is fixed or not fully utilised. I'm off to read it. I spotted the words "20 stirges" and had to giggle though :)
Gotta love touch attacks and con drain!

HelloChristian

First Post
Does the module provide any hints as to where Iggwilv might be residing? if I remember correctly, she's not dead. I think she was detailed in a Dragon mag. Perhaps I'll go on EBay and try to find it.

Pygon

First Post
HelloChristian said:
Does the module provide any hints as to where Iggwilv might be residing? if I remember correctly, she's not dead. I think she was detailed in a Dragon mag. Perhaps I'll go on EBay and try to find it.

Well, a recent issue of Dungeon magazine (#149) with her on the cover quite explicitly details where she is :) But yes, I think that issue of Dragon will give you a bit more info about her ambitions.

Last edited:

HelloChristian

First Post
Pygon said:
Well, a recent issue of Dungeon magazine (#149) with her on the cover quite explicitly details where she is :) But yes, I think that issue of Dragon will give you a bit more info about her ambitions.

Oh, cool. Where is she by the way? I always thought that Vecna making his comeback with an Iggwilv resurgence would mix things up again. Shoot, Iggwilv reunited with her son Iuz would be a gruesome twosome!

Pygon

First Post
[Savage Tide spoilers!]

Well, according to a late entry in the Savage Tide adventure path, she's currently residing in a manor at the shoreline of the Styx, somewhere deep in Niflheim in Hades. Or maybe that's just a vacation getaway for her. Her current residents are some arcanaloth apprentices and some, uh, draconic guarddogs.

[End spoilers]

I like the way Iggwilv's background slowly developed over the years. When Tsojcanth first came out, all it said was that she got too arrogant with her abilities and trapped Graz'zt. After he escaped and a titanic battle ensued, Iggwilv was heard from no more. All that remained were testaments to an ambitious mage that took her abilities too far, the most significant of which was the Demonomicon of Iggwilv, containing spells specfically designed to trap and control demons.

As years went by, more background surfaced as more DnD products were released. It turns out all this time that Iuz was the child of Iggwilv and Graz'zt (which was a huge shocker to me), the result of Graz'zt dragging Iggwilv to the Abyss in a sort of love-hate-mutual fascination with evil kind of thing.

Only recently did I find out that she was once the apprentice of the archmage Zagig, and assisted him with his early experiments deep within Castle Greyhawk, before they became the Ruins. I'm not sure how credible this is, since she would have had to strike out on her own, trap Graz'zt, give birth to Iuz (before or after being dragged to the Abyss, who knows), then for Iuz to be trapped by Zagig in his dungeons until accidentally released decades later.

At least, that's how I pieced it together. According to this latest adventure, the circumstances of how she ended up in the Lower Planes is left to conjecture. If anyone else tries to add more to her background, the whole thing might collapse from contradictions!

Last edited:

Remove ads