• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paladin Oath of Ancients, Aura of Warding question

Otterscrubber

First Post
In our last adventure we ran into an enemy paladin who took the Oath of Ancients and had Aura of Warding, which states they and allies in 10 feet have resistance to damage from spells. Our DM was ruling this also included spell-like abilities such as my warlocks Hurl into Hell and the paladin's smite and improved smite damage as well. But technically these are not spells and was wondering which way others look at this and if they also rule this affects abilities that are "not normal" as my DM put it. Anyone else run into this?

Oofta

Legend
As much as I wish it granted resistance to all magical damage for my paladin, it does not. Class features and smites are not spells even if they are magical.

Your DM is wrong ... except the the DM is always right and just gave the NPC an "Improved Aura of Warding". ;)

Otterscrubber

First Post
As much as I wish it granted resistance to all magical damage for my paladin, it does not. Class features and smites are not spells even if they are magical.

Your DM is wrong ... except the the DM is always right and just gave the NPC an "Improved Aura of Warding". ;)

Ya, I decided to roll with it, not start a rules war over it, he's the DM and rule 0 is a thing. I figured it would be more satisfying to shame him on the boards anyways :)

Shiroiken

Legend
I think the simplest way to look at it is: could the effect be counterspelled? If so, I'd give them half damage, if not, then it's just not a spell.

cooperjer

Explorer
I was just listening to Mike Shea interview Jeremy Crawford about monster use and design. He indicated that monsters have a range of HP and damage, so it is intended a DM can adjust damage and HP as needed. This is similar to what Oofta said. It's an improved paladin feature. However, I would hope it only shows up rarely, otherwise the players may want it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads