• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT) Firefly

uv23

First Post
Very much looking forward to it, especially with the putrid self-righteous space romance that the star trek franchise has become.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Okay no offense DP, but that wasn't very helpful. Can SOMEONE PLEASE explain to me what this show about? I know Joss is involved but I'd like more understand before I get much further.

TrizzlWizzl

First Post
This is from the website:

Set 500 years in Earth’s future, Firefly is an ensemble series about a small ragtag crew on an incredibly mobile spaceship named the Serenity. Led by Captain Malcolm “Mal” Reynolds, an officer on the losing side of a great war against The Alliance, the crew must struggle to keep themselves alive while searching for meaning in their lives within the dark fringes of their chaotic world under the rule of a new government.

Negative Zero

First Post
i heard that Joss is so dedicated to this show, that he passed on writing and/or directing th Iron Man feature film. in a time like now where big budget CG effects and superheroes are extremely popular, (opinions of certain board members aside :)) that's a huge deal! i'm looking forward to it.

~NegZ

Dark Psion

First Post
I have heard a few people refer to Firefly as a live action Cowboy Beebop (as seen on the Cartoon Channel Saturday nights, Adult's Swim). Other's refer to it as the Anti-Star Trek, I'm just glad there will be at least ONE new sci-fi show this fall.

I can never figure out how Sci-Fi and Fantasy can rule at the movie theater, but be missing from network TV.

CWD

First Post
Dark Psion said:
I have heard a few people refer to Firefly as a live action Cowboy Beebop (as seen on the Cartoon Channel Saturday nights, Adult's Swim). Other's refer to it as the Anti-Star Trek, I'm just glad there will be at least ONE new sci-fi show this fall.

I can never figure out how Sci-Fi and Fantasy can rule at the movie theater, but be missing from network TV.

Sci-fi and fantasy aren't on TV more often because they are just too darn expensive to produce. Costumes, sets, and special effects are just gonna cost more. After all, you can go to the store and pick up a wardrobe for a layer on "Law and Order", but if you want a sci-fi outfit, you'll probably have to make it.

TV (even cable TV) is provided to the consumer pretty much free of charge. If they can can get the same advertiser dollar with an el chepo sitcom, they'll do it.

Conversely, a quick glance at the biggest moneymaking movies over at boxofficemojo.com shows that people want their movies to be big and grand (I suspect it has to do with the fact that they have to pay to watch it). I bet you if people had to pay for each TV show they watched, there would be a lot more sci-fi/fantasy on TV.

I also think it has something to do with the psychology of TV. For some reason, most people I've met want TV to be familiar and comforting. Sci-fi and fantasy, pretty much by definition, are outside people's realm of experience.

Feel free to shoot me down, but these are the conclusions I've reached through personal observations.

Remove ads