• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR OSR Tropes Extinct in 5E

S

Sunseeker

Tropes are generally done away with over time as they tend to rely on bad stereotypes and highly cliche conventions. It's not that these can't be enjoyable, they just get boring quickly when repeated.

Some of them are outrightly bad, especially ones based off real-life cultures, since they are often poorly researched and based heavily on Western stereotypes of current and historical foreign cultures. There's interesting stuff to be explored there, and many foreign cultures have strong "adventure" oral histories that would fit right in with Western fantasy gaming....but those elements are rarely dutifully represented.

That is to say, what has been "lost" so far is frankly of little value.

dave2008

Legend
Can 5E do these old tropes justice? .

Yes, absolutely. I don't think that is really a question worth asking. It makes me think you don't know what your talking about or there is a language barrier at work here. I would guess that from previous posts, so I am not sure what your going for with this post.

Now, if you asking will WotC do these tropes justice in 5e products that is a different thing. No, as it was already pointed out there are WotC 5e products that already have some of these (and others you didn't cover), so I guess it would make senses to give it time. Heck there are not even a dozen 5e only adventures yet. There also 5e 3pp that I am sure cover some of these tropes - so there is that too.

If that is what your after you went about it in a really strange manner. But that would be consistent with your approach to posting in general I guess.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yes, absolutely. I don't think that is really a question worth asking. It makes me think you don't know what your talking about or there is a language barrier at work here. I would guess that from previous posts, so I am not sure what your going for with this post.

Now, if you asking will WotC do these tropes justice in 5e products that is a different thing. No, as it was already pointed out there are WotC 5e products that already have some of these (and others you didn't cover), so I guess it would make senses to give it time. Heck there are not even a dozen 5e only adventures yet. There also 5e 3pp that I am sure cover some of these tropes - so there is that too.

If that is what your after you went about it in a really strange manner. But that would be consistent with your approach to posting in general I guess.

I was not over analysing thing. As I said some 3pp has used these tropes.

5E is not ideal for some of them though (hexcrawling) but you can do it.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Considering that 2, 4, 6, 7 and 8 show up in WotC's most recent adventure...

He hasn't read it, so it doesn't exist and the trope is thus extinct ;)

Reminds me of that Growing Pains episode where Mike is home sick, and he's watching Gilligan's Island, and turns the TV off, and a few minutes turns it back on it again, and has an epiphany that even if he's not actually seeing something, it still continues on without him :D

But back on topic:

Building castles/fortresses at name level
Flying mounts (seems like griffons and hipogriffs and pegasi were very common by level 6ish, but I hardly see them in 5e)
Magic items over class powers (now most of the powers of a PC are granted by class, and not by magic items, so the trope of the hero with an iconic magic item seems to be missing in 5e. Like Bilbo, or Elric).

JonnyP71

Explorer
Not quite a magic fountain, but my players loved the Ghostly Feast in X2. I ran it using 5E rules, but with the original B/X effects in the module.

I did take a look at one of the professionally made conversions of the module, but immediately took a dislike to it when I read the section on the feast, where it changed how the feast granted its various effects....

In the original, if the effect of consuming something was bad it was:
- save successful, no effect
- save failed, bad effect

Then with the beneficial foodstuffs:
- save successful, no effect
- save failed, good effect

Thus the effect of eating the food occurred only on a failed save, whether that effect was positive or negative.

The author of the conversion changed that so you got the good effects on a successful save. Naaaaaa, that topsy turvy place is meant to be experienced the old school way...

Remove ads