• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Option anxiety - paragon wizard toys

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
First off some background, a bunch of us from college have an ongoing campaign going, initially in Palladium, then 3.x but more recently in 4e.

It progresses slowly due to the fact we meet only a couple of times a year. Anyhow when we converted it from 3x to 4e we kind of kept the Paladium stats but rebuilt the characters in 4e classe. So I went from Palladium Warlock/Ranger to Wizard with Ranger multiclass. We also decided to put everyone at 10th level since 4e seemed to be very much with everone at the same level.

So now we leveled up to paragon and we have just had our first paragon level battle. It was obvious that our non armour defenses could do with a boosting and we have in stroy reasons to have a lot of residium at hand. The DM is pretty open to us aquiring magic items but the real issue is the shear quantiy of possible items out there.

So suggestions: Athclena is fire and lightning themed wizard with ranger multiclass and Wizard of the Spiral Tower paragon path. Wand mastery (sword) and second implement of Tome of Readiness.
She already had battle harness armour +2, Flaming sword +2 and headband of preception + 1. No real issue with hitting things so far.

Non armour defenses need boosting, So what items should be on my shopping list?

Ferghis

First Post
Neck items boost your Fortitude, Reflex and Will. Maybe try a Cloak of Distortion, which boosts your defenses even more against ranged attacks.

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
Neck items boost your Fortitude, Reflex and Will. Maybe try a Cloak of Distortion, which boosts your defenses even more against ranged attacks.

In addition, if you're really worried about NADs, consider whether to swap implement feature Tome of Readiness for Staff of Defence. Then make or buy a Defensive Staff (you can hold a staff in your off hand while blasting away with your longsword). (And then to add insult to injury, take the Dual Implement Spellcaster feat for added blasting power).

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
In addition, if you're really worried about NADs, consider whether to swap implement feature Tome of Readiness for Staff of Defence. Then make or buy a Defensive Staff (you can hold a staff in your off hand while blasting away with your longsword). (And then to add insult to injury, take the Dual Implement Spellcaster feat for added blasting power).

Cheers, Al'Kelhar
Concerned more than really worried and I had already figured out neck items but there are so many and nothing seems to leap out as a cool item.

Presonally I would prefer to go with inherent bonuses and spend money/residium on rituals.

The magic items are overwhelming in their sameness and none of them seem to leap out as a cool item.]

However, I don't have all the sourcebooks and I was just searching hte compendium so I though I would ask here.

The Human Target

Adventurer
+2 or +3 Cloak of Survival

Resist 5 fire, Resist 5 cold, and a bonus to endurance checks.

Just lovely.

But yeah, you all need +2 neck slot items for sure or you're gonna be in trouble.

I'd also look into the feats that boost yours NADs.

Remove ads