• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] Quickleaf's Rime of the Frostmaiden [closed but waitlist is available]

Quickleaf

Legend
I've played one-shot at 9th level, it was a blast. I've heard Phantom is not at its best before 9th, but I want to try it.

Also, two warlock, one potential hexblade and one other asking for warlock or sorcerer...where are the bruisers!? So far, hexblade is the only melee character besides rogue
I think @thegraydev mentioned wanting to play a Ranger

Quickleaf

Legend
Oh boy, you guys are brave with the Old School rolling! Yeah doing it with your ENWorld user name in Coyote Code is ok.

I’ve got it.

Boon could be an Uncommon Magic Item, right? Can I have a Headband of Intellect? I can bump my Dex, and have Int be my casting stat. I would rather have used Wisdom, but unless you will let me Homebrew a Headband of Wisdom that bumps my Wis to 19, I’ll take what I can get, lol.

Kinda stinks that I need to use the boon to offset the bad rolls rather than as something extra, but thems the breaks. This way, I’m not completely worthless, though I’ll never get that coveted 20 in Int.

Dibs on any Gauntlets of Ogre Power or Belts of strength! Or any stat boosting items, for that matter, lol.

Can my Headband be my cowboy hat?
Haha, yes Headband of Intellect reskinned as your duster / cowboy hat works.

Intelligence as casting stat? Sounds like you're going Wizard?

tglassy

Adventurer
I can basically fluff this that all my knowledge and whatnot is in the headband.
Oh boy, you guys are brave with the Old School rolling! Yeah doing it with your ENWorld user name in Coyote Code is ok.

Haha, yes Headband of Intellect reskinned as your duster / cowboy hat works.

Intelligence as casting stat? Sounds like you're going Wizard?
Warlock. The One Dnd playtest lets you choose the Warlock’s casting stat. I gotta go Tome or Chain, and will prolly go Chain, but imma think about it.

I was the most under average man on the planet, and some shady person offered me this cool hat, and when I put it on, I KNEW STUFF. As long as I have my hat, I’m golden.

Quickleaf

Legend
OK, I just got a chance to check out this link and it looks like you already got your group. If someone drops out I would be interested in joining. I haven't done play by post, but I would love to give it a try and I would be very excited to be in one of your games. Let me know!
Hey Dave, yeah interest in the game kind of exploded faster than I was anticipating. We've got... nine players! Eegad, that feels like one of my AD&D tables in the late 80's. I'll put your name at the top of the "standby list" and message you if we have an opening.

Quickleaf

Legend
I can basically fluff this that all my knowledge and whatnot is in the headband.

Warlock. The One Dnd playtest lets you choose the Warlock’s casting stat. I gotta go Tome or Chain, and will prolly go Chain, but imma think about it.

I was the most under average man on the planet, and some shady person offered me this cool hat, and when I put it on, I KNEW STUFF. As long as I have my hat, I’m golden.
Ah, interesting! The Playtest Warlock's spellcasting ability is determined by their pact of the blade/chain/tome choice. That flavor works!

Definitely, if you're doing standard human w/ +1 to all scores, look at the Background Variant Human in my House Rules document – it's basically a boost to standard human, you get +1 to all scores & choice of one boon that's inspired by a mix of older edition takes on the human & the Pathfinder human variants.

tglassy

Adventurer
The way I’ve always viewed Intelligence in this game is that it is a representation of what you know, not how smart you are. I’ve played illiterate characters with a 6 Int, but I don’t play them stupid. Just ignorant. They don’t KNOW things cause they never had an education.

So having a headband of Intellect, in my mind, basically means it holds vast knowledge that I have access to while I wear it. So maybe my hat has the memories of everyone who’s ever worn it. Perhaps that’s why my patron gives it to his servants. They can use the memories, and it will record theirs in turn. I have access to a vast well of information, including magical and historical knowledge that has been lost to the ages.

Not sure who the patron should be, but Levistus is my favorite Archdevil.

happylace

Explorer

Quickleaf

Legend
If you're wanting help to figure out what your PC is doing in Icewind Dale, there are some default hooks according to background. Also adding these to the first post...

Character Hooks by Background (Optional)
Acolyte: Auril the Frostmaiden, the god of winter's fury, has cast an evil spell over lcewind Dale. You can bring hope and faith to the people of Ten-Towns or, even better, free them from winter's cold embrace in the name of your god .
Charlatan: Your cons and deceptions nearly got the better of you. You needed to disappear for a while, and lcewind Dale was the perfect place to do so. Nothing could prepare you for the cold and the dark desolation, but at least there's money to be made.
Criminal: You are wanted for crimes in the cities of Luskan and Mirabar, but no one will think to look for you in Ten-Towns, the cold heart of lcewind Dale. Thankfully, nobody in Ten-Towns cares who you are-or what you've done.
Entertainer: You came to lcewind Dale three years ago seeking inspiration for a new song or poem, drawn by tales of the land's harsh beauty and the legendary exploits of Drizzt Do'Urden. Since then, Auril the Frostmaiden has cast an evil spell over the dale, preventing you from return ing home.
Folk Hero: Your name is synonymous with heroism throughout Ten-Towns. Did you save a fisher who fell into the ice, scare away a yeti armed with only a fishing pole and a basket, or beat a drunk goliath at arm wrestling?
Guild Artisan: You came to lcewind Dale to start a business. Your shop was doing well until Auril the Frostmaiden cast her evil spell harkening endless winter. Now, businesses throughout Ten-Town s are suffering, yours included. To avoid hardship, you might need to supplement your income.
Hermit: You've been haunted by dreams of Auril the Frostmaiden for years, as if some cold hand were guiding your fate, leading you to Icewind Dale to learn your mysterious connection to the Frostmaiden. The people of Ten-Towns have little pretense and pay you little mind. To them, you're just another silly old fool.
Noble: Your wealthy grandfather or grandmother sent you to lcewind Dale to learn a hard lesson. Perhaps the cruel indifference of this frozen land will prepare you for the cruel indifference of Waterdeep's politics.
Outlander: You're a child of the icy wilderness, born and raised in one of the Reghed tribes. Imagine, after following herds of migrating reindeer your whole life, getting a taste of what life in Ten-Towns has to offer. There's no place farther from the trappings of civilization than lcewind Dale.
Sage: You came to lcewind Dale in search of ruins and artifacts left behind by the giants who ruled the ancient empire of Ostoria. To find even one Ostorian relic would fulfill a lifelong dream and make your rivals back home green with envy.
Sailor: You've sailed ships up and down the Sword Coast, but a shipwreck made you reevaluate your life choices. Two years ago, you headed north, bought a house and a fishing boat in Ten-Towns , and became a fisher. You were told that the summers here are beautiful, but you have yet to see one.
Soldier: You are a soldier of Ten-Towns, trained to fight orcs, ice trolls, and other threats lurking in the Spine of the World mountains. Auril the Frostmaiden has cast an evil spell over lcewind Dale, and you struggle to see how your soldier's training can save this land from so terrible a doom. Still, you are not about to give up on the people of Ten-Towns.
Urchin: Because you grew up in Ten-Towns, your familiarity with the residents makes you useful to Harper spies and Zhentarim bounty hunters who are looking for criminals and other ne'er-do-wells hiding in your midst. Ratting out these newcomers keeps coin in your pockets.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads