• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 On Deities weapons in 3.5 edition

Mjollnir

First Post
I wonder if clerics will get a free proficiency in their deities favored weapons for free, for example, will a dwarven Moradin cleric need not spend a feat with the Warhammer? I think they should not, because their special empathy with their deity's ways should be enough to allow him/her to be procient with it. I'm kind of curious of your comments...

kreynolds

First Post
I only have General comments. ;) I don't know what they're gonna do that hasn't already been announced. We'll find out when it comes out.

Last edited:

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Mjollnir said:
I wonder if clerics will get a free proficiency in their deities favored weapons for free, for example, will a dwarven Moradin cleric need not spend a feat with the Warhammer? I think they should not, because their special empathy with their deity's ways should be enough to allow him/her to be procient with it. I'm kind of curious of your comments...
This already exists in the current version. If you have the War domain, you automatically get a Martial Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus with your deity's favored weapon.

If you don't take the War domain, then obviously you think other things are more important than weaponry, so you don't get the weapon feats.

Mjollnir

First Post
What about if your deity does not grant you the War domain?, i.e. Eillistraee. On the other hand, it seems important to this deity to progress in the use of the blade art and above all with her favored weapon (Bastard sword); WotC has even published a prestige class on that: Swor Dancer on page 205 in Faiths&Pantheons...

Merlion

First Post
I wouldnt mind seeing that...but I doubt they'll do it.
And yea I agree the War domain arguement is kind of pointless..lots of deities dont have it...including many that do have a strong link to there favored weapons non the less.
It would be neat to see some more feats and/or spell(beyond the ones they already have) to give clerics powers/benefits with there deities favored weapon.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
I see nothing wrong with such favored weapons only being granted with the War domain. Who really gives a rip about their deity's favored weapon if they're not an especially warlike deity? In fact, I'd go so far as to say that clerics getting such proficiencies without War domain wouldn't make any sense to me.

Mind you, I can see other domains with particular affinities for combat, or the racial domains of some deities, giving a similar benefit. But making it a universal benefit for all clerics strikes me as quite nonsensical.

Merlion

First Post
I can see it either way.
But I can see it being nonsensical that when an acolyte cleric is being trained in the mace and crossbow and shortspear, his superiors dont train him in the use of their patrons favored weapon?
And what about deities like Eilistraee? she's not a war goddess and doesnt have the war Domain but she is the godess of swordplay...and skill with swords is a tenet of her religion. And theres quite a few like her.
Not saying they definitly should do it...and as I said I'm pretty sure they wont...but it would make perfect sense from a roleplay/fantasy world standpoint

Petrosian

First Post
I am relatively happy with it being an aspect of the diety, shown thru domains. A healing goddess would NOT be giving her clerics martial training in her longsword as a matter of course.

Merlion

First Post
And as a matter of course a healing deity wouldnt have longsword as a favored weapon unless they had another strong aspect as well.
Read again the, deities favored weapon, not better martial weapons that clerics normaly cant use, portion.

Remove ads