• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR Old School Essentials Box Sets Kickstarter

Froderik

Explorer
On the topic of the distinction between "classic" and "advanced" OSE, can anyone familiar with the OSE adventures tell me whether they presuppose only the OSE "classic" rules (i.e., what's in B/X D&D) or whether they also employ "advanced" material?
The Introduction of all the recent OSE adventures published by Necrotic Gnome has this text:

"Running this adventure, the referee requires a copy of Old-School Essentials. The Classic Fantasy and Advanced Fantasy flavours work equally well. Alternatively, use the classic Basic/ Expert game or another derived rule set."

Volund

Explorer
One negative about the box is that Gavin said to save money the box would not be extra large. So you might not be able to fit all the rule books and extra adventures/zines into one box. I’m not backing this because I already have the tomes, but I sort of just want the box to keep all my a5-sized osr content.
Somewhere in the KS comments Gavin says that there may be leftover boxes after fulfillment and if that's the case they'll be available to buy at Exalted Funeral. For the lucky few who happen to be on the EF website for the 15 seconds they are in stock. I'd gladly pay an embarrassing amount of money for a pair of empty boxes for my OSE hardback adventures and zines.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
On the topic of the distinction between "classic" and "advanced" OSE, can anyone familiar with the OSE adventures tell me whether they presuppose only the OSE "classic" rules (i.e., what's in B/X D&D) or whether they also employ "advanced" material?
I’ve run both Winter’s Daughter and Halls of the Blood King (though neither actually using OSE). The advanced fantasy genre rules are mostly about new or different character options and some gameplay tweaks. None of that is really going to come up in an adventure. If for some reason there might be e.g., a barbarian NPC, the adventure will have a stat block, and you’d run them like any other monster.

darjr

I crit!
$666 thousand? Knew it! EDF95924-C3D0-4B0D-A050-A11359C2511F.jpeg

overgeeked

B/X Known World
We're in the home stretch now. Exciting!

I actually joined a game running OSE last month the week this launched, and my enthusiasm for the pared back style of B/X has certainly been increased. I loves me some AD&D, but there's something to be said for the simple approach.
And with Old-School Essentials Advanced Fantasy, you can gave your chocolate and peanut butter.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I don't know if I can support OSE books anymore. I just realized Demons and Devils are not in the Monsters book! This is Demon and Devil Erasure! You can't just "erase" two whole cultures like that, no matter how much you dislike them!

EDIT: It occurs to me, I need to put an "/s" because Poe's Law is a thing.

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
I don't know if I can support OSE books anymore. I just realized Demons and Devils are not in the Monsters book! This is Demon and Devil Erasure! You can't just "erase" two whole cultures like that, no matter how much you dislike them!

EDIT: It occurs to me, I need to put an "/s" because Poe's Law is a thing.

I believe Gavin has said this very thing is a planned project of his.

Remove ads