• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR Old School Essentials Box Sets Kickstarter

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Cool. Thanks for that. I guess I'm still doing the old "it's a fighter only strictly better" thing. I'd probably be fine with it, but bump up that CHA requirement as a house rule.
That's probably a very common house rule. I think Gavin put it at "9" so that there would be a good chance of having one at any particular table; he probably didn't want to waste the space on a class that only 1.4% of generated characters could qualify for! :D

Last edited:

Musing Mage

Pondering D&D stuff
Well, I lasted all of 5 minutes before deciding to pledge.

Just after Noon (EST that is) when it launched the pledges were up to about 40k, but in the time it took to log in, read over the campaign and pledge, it was fully funded. Craziness.

Looks like I will be adding an OSE game to the growing list of games that I run... who's down for some OSE in the near future? :ROFLMAO:

reelo

Hero
Yeah, I'm aware. A fighter with all those listed extra abilities and only a CHA9 as a requirement? Nah. I'm not saying it would be 17 as it was in AD&D, but 9 is nothing.
Don't forget thatthe XP progression for the Paladin is different: for the Fighter, lvl2 is at 2k XP (and then 4k, 8k etc) and for the Paladin it's 2750XP for lvl2 (and then 5500, 12k, etc)

Different XP progressions are a big part of BX's internal balance!

darjr

I crit!
Over half a million!

337BCE76-92F5-4FD9-84A3-74A091CF94C2.jpeg

Dear lord, that's insane. Awesome, but insane. I backed first day for both box sets, and I'm almost wishing I had backed for the Ref Screen and adventures, but I didn't want to risk having to downgrade for financial reasons and losing the Early Bird spot.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I'm trying to spend less on RPGs these days, and generally avoid kickstarters, but I couldn't resist backing the Classic Rules (B/X) box. The Otus cover pushed me to do so.

The problem (for me) with the "Advanced Rules" is that while they introduce classes, races, etc., from 1e AD&D, they don't bring the overall "power level" up to 1e AD&D (e.g., hit dice remain lower than in 1e AD&D, clerics can't cast any spells at first level in OSE whereas with a high wisdom they can cast multiple spells at 1st level in AD&D, etc.). So you'd have to "tone down" any AD&D (or OSRIC) material that you'd want to use with OSE.

I can see why they're marketing the "Advanced" options but if I wanted to play AD&D I think I'd just use AD&D (with OSRIC for clarity regarding initiative and a few other things).

As for something to use with B/X material, though, OSE looks very useful (especially since the B/X books still aren't available via POD).

Remove ads