• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OGL 1.2 survey is now live

raniE

Adventurer
I filled it out, mostly focused on the only thing they can do to make me happy is OGL 1.0b which is 1.0a but with the words “irrevocable” and “no ability to deauthorize” added and put under a non-profit so Hasbro has no even imagined control over it in the future.
Well, I have submitted my survey.

I'm afraid I'm not at all hopeful though - in my experience, when a company (or government) has taken a decision they know will be unpopular, they run a consultation very much like this. So they send out surveys, and invite as many responses as possible. They then filter those responses, finding as many creative ways as they can to disregard responses that don't agree with what they've decided.

And then report the 'results': "We've been delighted by the response. We had X thousands of responses, and the feedback was broadly in agreement with our plans. We will make some further adjustments on specific points that were raised, and will publish our new and final version soon. Our sincere thanks to all those who responded."

Basically, the word 'consultation' has only three letters.
The problem there is … they need us. Customers is where they get their money. If they don’t actually make people happy, they’re gone. Hasbro wanted more money from D&D. I think they’ll be lucky to get out of this making slightly less.

it depends on the casuals, and how the movie and TV show do I would think.

Casuals don't matter as much as the whales really do when it comes to a game like D&D. This is not a hobby where everyone is invested equally, but rather by its nature is very lopsided. In my groups, it was only the DMs who really bought books, while those who largely played games borrowed them. You might get someone buying a PHB or a Xanathar's, but most of content being released by Wizards is campaign setting or adventure stuff and aren't really meant to be bought by everyone.

And honestly that's not a bad strategy for business: It keeps the entry into the hobby low and thus makes it more attractive to the very casual. Those who eventually want to run things then have lots of options of buying stuff, and you can keep your output low and your quality high (in theory, at least) so as not to overwhelm those who might be interested in buying without getting to the "I can't keep up, gonna have to ration" levels of product output.

The problem is that while this is likely only being noticed and pissing off the more engaged part of the fanbase, that part of your fanbase is a disproportionate part of your revenue stream. DMs are the people who are going to be the ones watching influencers, trying to understand how the mechanics work better, what things they could be doing better or worse. This means they are also more likely to be the ones being bombarded with how bad this is.

The worst part? Those are the people who are bringing you into the hobby. There are a lot of people who will play D&D as a player. It's fairly easy to do so. If the DM leaves because he doesn't want to be the DM anymore? Well, that means you're likely losing a group of casuals because many people want to play and not run the game. This is the definition of a game that cannot place more value on casual players because the people who bring those casuals in and keep them playing are the ones running things and buying all the books.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Well, I have submitted my survey.

I'm afraid I'm not at all hopeful though - in my experience, when a company (or government) has taken a decision they know will be unpopular, they run a consultation very much like this. So they send out surveys, and invite as many responses as possible. They then filter those responses, finding as many creative ways as they can to disregard responses that don't agree with what they've decided.

And then report the 'results': "We've been delighted by the response. We had X thousands of responses, and the feedback was broadly in agreement with our plans. We will make some further adjustments on specific points that were raised, and will publish our new and final version soon. Our sincere thanks to all those who responded."

Basically, the word 'consultation' has only three letters.
Exactly. This is “proper channels” in a nut shell.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Casuals don't matter as much as the whales really do when it comes to a game like D&D. This is not a hobby where everyone is invested equally, but rather by its nature is very lopsided. In my groups, it was only the DMs who really bought books, while those who largely played games borrowed them. You might get someone buying a PHB or a Xanathar's, but most of content being released by Wizards is campaign setting or adventure stuff and aren't really meant to be bought by everyone.

And honestly that's not a bad strategy for business: It keeps the entry into the hobby low and thus makes it more attractive to the very casual. Those who eventually want to run things then have lots of options of buying stuff, and you can keep your output low and your quality high (in theory, at least) so as not to overwhelm those who might be interested in buying without getting to the "I can't keep up, gonna have to ration" levels of product output.

The problem is that while this is likely only being noticed and pissing off the more engaged part of the fanbase, that part of your fanbase is a disproportionate part of your revenue stream. DMs are the people who are going to be the ones watching influencers, trying to understand how the mechanics work better, what things they could be doing better or worse. This means they are also more likely to be the ones being bombarded with how bad this is.

The worst part? Those are the people who are bringing you into the hobby. There are a lot of people who will play D&D as a player. It's fairly easy to do so. If the DM leaves because he doesn't want to be the DM anymore? Well, that means you're likely losing a group of casuals because many people want to play and not run the game. This is the definition of a game that cannot place more value on casual players because the people who bring those casuals in and keep them playing are the ones running things and buying all the books.
That is a very interesting take and I'd never really thought of it in this way.
But I guess a lot of this is going to depend on how Wizbro sees the future of D&D and whether the sales of books is going to matter to them. It would seem they're aiming for a virtual game rather than a table-top one and if they're thinking AI DM's on screens or in VR environments catering to paying subscribers, then serving TTRPG DMs to keep the game alive may well matter little to them in the long run.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Which is exactly the imbalance that a 3d VTT subscription where each player must pay to play is intended to address. And it leads to WoW money if successful. That justified paying $146m for DDB. It wasn't paid to sell PDFs online (without really selling PDFs).

Which, in turn, is why we are here talking about the OGL.

I'm not bargaining with extortionists.

This thing appears designed to prove or force the concession that we've somehow collectively accepted their illegal claim of being able to "deauthorize" the OGL1.0(a). It's not a good faith negotiation. It's a ploy to make litigation over the actual point more difficult, and to move the outrage away from forums that spook the shareholders.

The degree of psychological manipulation on display is sickening. But sadly, it looks like it's working.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Instead, change it so that you can pull the right to use your logos, symbols, etc, and to claim that it’s supported, interacted with, compatible, (et al) with D&D in anyway, shape or form.
Also giving similar feedback.

I think something similar to the old d20 license would go a long way to making all parties happy. Keep the OGL 1a, but they can give people who use the compatability logo extra conditions.

Remove ads