• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Non-D&D 4Ed

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A couple years ago, I opined about how I thought 4Ed system would have done better if it had been used for a game other than D&D. However, I opened that thread with language that was been taken as more confrontational than I intended (since confrontation was not my intent). Derailment was nearly instantaneous' and the thread shut down quickly.

But the thought has stuck in my mind, and today, I may have hit on it: the 4Ed engine, with just a couple of tweaks, would be a near perfect system for a M:tG RPG or homebrew campaign.

1) though there is a concept of good & evil implied in the color system and backstory, there is no real alignment in M:tG

2) the quasi-Vancian M:tG limitation of 4 cards of any given kind in a deck is just a couple of steps away from 4Ed's AEDU. M:tG recursion cards could be powers or Feats in 4Ed

3) the way some artifacts, etc. are powered/activated in M:tG is similar to the way some items & artifacts work in 4Ed

4) nobody would care about the magic vs mundane divide that gets debated in 4Ed, since it doesn't exist in M:tG.

5) Certain unusual abilities have close analogues in the 2 games. The way that some low-level 4Ed creatures are more powerful in groups is just a tweak from being how M:tG's Slivers work, for instance. And 4Ed marking or certain martial AoE powers would simulate the creature abilities like First Strike, lures, rampage, etc. (Or whatever they're called in current editions of the game). M:tG's Shadow and the 4Ed Warlock's Shadow Walk are kissing cousins. Landwalking would be a situational teleport power.

Thoughts?

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION]

A late reply, but I think you're certainly on to something. Google-fu is failing me now, but there's a GREAT blog out there with a concept post about converting M:tG using 4e D&D rules. I'll look again to see if I can stumble upon it, lots of great ideas there, not just for M:tG, but for hacking 4e in general.

And it makes sense that folks feel 4e's rules don't feel quite like D&D (or at least that they would be better suited to a different genre). You see the beginnings of the 4e system in Star Wars SAGA after all, and some have alleged SAGA was - from a design perspective - where they tested out ideas for 4e.

Personally, I tend to see D&D defined by its lore and playstyle rather than its rules. Not that all rules are created equal (they most emphatically are not), but that the first thing that comes to mind when invited to play D&D is not "which version?", rather I think of cracking jokes about the bard and coming up with ridiculous uses for captive kobolds.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
On a related note, I think the way of building monsters and NPCs also offers an alternative character generation system which you could adapt to any genre or even to a simpler version of D&D4E.

I suspect that you could even use that as a framework for a M:tG adaptation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads