• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Noble PC class (SW/3e hybrid to make viable PC choice)

Infinite Monkey

First Post
It feels to me that the Noble class should be a PrC, with the only prerequisite being noble birth or something like that.

The class could concentrate on what makes nobles different, and rely on other classes to give the character particular shape.

I'm just thinking as I type here, but I would give things like bonuses to various skills to simulate a nobles concentrated training in certain areas (like diplomacy and leadership and gather information).

examples...

The noble gets a bonus to diplomacy and some other checks to get people do to stuff for them. The bonus is cha mod * Noble level in their own land. Half that in neighbouring lands. No bonus in further lands and it becomes a penalty to the applicable rolls in countries that are at war with the nobles homeland.

Each time the character gains a noble level, they get level squared * 1000 gp worth of stuff. This cannot be easy things like money or magic items (unless the items are family heirlooms), but are things like lands, titles and so on.

I'd probably make it a 5 level PrC, and give the Leadership feat at about level 3 or 4.

SO, here goes...

Noble Prestige Class
Requirements : The character must be of noble (or just rich) birth.

Hit dice : d6.
Class Skills : as classes above.
Skill Points : 6 (*4 if taken as the first level class)

Noble Manner : The noble gets a bonus to diplomacy, gather information and bluff checks (And some others, suggestions?). When within their own lands, this bonus is their Charisma modifier * their Noble level. In neighbouring lands, the bonus is halved. In further lands, the bonus is quartered. In lands that are at war with the Nobles homeland, the full amount is applied as a penalty to the given rolls.

Noble Wealth : Each time the character gains a Noble level, they get (Noble level squared) * 1000 gp worth of stuff. The stuff gained cannot be monetary wealth or items (mundane or magical) unless there is good reason for it being so (such as getting a family heirloom or the family being a merchant family), but is in the form of lands, titles, favours granted by higher ranked nobles and so on.

Leadership : At 3rd level the Noble gets the Leadership feat. At 4th level, the effects of the feat are doubled, and they are tripled at fifth level, but in both cases, only with respect to the Nobles countrymen. NOTE : I don't have my books with me, and I can't remember what the Leadership feat does exactly, so this part may not be appropriate, or may need to be spelled out better.

Level Benefit
1 Noble Manner, Noble Wealth (1000 gp)
2 Noble Wealth (4000 gp)
3 Leadership, Noble Wealth (9000 gp)
4 Leadership doubles, Noble Wealth (16000gp)
5 Leadership triples, Noble Wealth (25000gp)

Infinite Monkey

First Post
As I said, I can't remember exactly what Leadership does, so the effects of the leadership double and triple may have to be altered or better defined, but I feel that leadership is a large part of what being a Noble is all about, so increasing the effectiveness of the feat through taking some levels seems quite appropriate to me.

Remove ads