• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New WotC Adventure Path?

Agamon

Adventurer
Paizo showed WotC how successful the concept can be. So WotC makes these and doesn't allow Paizo to make an AoW HC.

delericho

Legend
I doubt it, to be honest. There are two reasons for this:

1) If you produce a series of adventures, you see sales of the later products in the series tail off, as people who weren't involved at the start are unlikely to join later, while some who did start lose interest along the way. Market them as stand-alone products, and they're likely to do better individually.

2) Wizards don't appear (based on the currently announced adventures) to be particularly interested in high-level adventures, which would be a prerequisite for a full adventure path.

delericho

Legend
Agamon said:
Paizo showed WotC how successful the concept can be. So WotC makes these and doesn't allow Paizo to make an AoW HC.

I've seen statements to this effect quite a lot lately, but haven't actually seen an official statement. Have WotC actually told Paizo "no" to an AoW book, or have they simply not said "yes"? (And is there some 'official' statement to that effect somewhere?)

Animus

Explorer
delericho,

I agree with your first point, but what about instead of a 1-20 AP, something more like a 1-12 AP like some people on these boards have been asking for? It only need be 3 or 4 mega adventures long.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
delericho said:
I've seen statements to this effect quite a lot lately, but haven't actually seen an official statement. Have WotC actually told Paizo "no" to an AoW book, or have they simply not said "yes"? (And is there some 'official' statement to that effect somewhere?)

My guess is that no one at either WotC or Paizo has said anything about it, and that fans are looking for an explanation as to why AoW isn't out yet.

Blaming WotC is the easierst thing to do. Could be right, could be wrong.

/M

ssampier

First Post
Seems a bit high for 32 pages. If it delve, how much content can you fit with that format? It must be four or five rooms.

Second, I doubt Wizards would be willing to bet the farm on a serial of modules that may or may not sell. I think the tag-line "stand-alone adventure" is correct.

delericho

Legend
Animus said:
what about instead of a 1-20 AP, something more like a 1-12 AP

Well, that's an option. It's just, when I hear "Adventure Path", I think 1-20. Which is not to say that that's the way it has to be.

From my perpective, though, I would very much like to see some new high-level adventures from WotC, whether path of a Path or not. I find the current lack of them on the schedule... disappointing.

Glyfair

Explorer
delericho said:
Have WotC actually told Paizo "no" to an AoW book, or have they simply not said "yes"? (And is there some 'official' statement to that effect somewhere?)

I believe that the Paizo staff have said that they haven't been told yes, and haven't been told no. Everything mentioned beyond that is speculation.

Knight Otu

First Post
ssampier said:
Seems a bit high for 32 pages.
?
It's either 142 pages, or "a 64-page adventure book, a 64-page campaign book, a 16-page players’ book, an 8-page illustration booklet, and a double-sided battle map designed for use with official D&D Miniatures." (which does add up to more than 142, though)

ssampier said:
Second, I doubt Wizards would be willing to bet the farm on a serial of modules that may or may not sell. I think the tag-line "stand-alone adventure" is correct.
Well, it's supposedly "Perfect for use as a follow-up to Scourge of the Howling Horde...," going by the October previews.

That said, I'm not sure if Adventure Path is the correct term, but as I recall, there are supposed to be two large trilogies of adventures scheduled for 2007. Can't remember if this one is supposed to be part of one, though.

Remove ads