• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Document: 77 Pages, 7 Classes, & More!

Updated classes, spells, feats, and more!

There's a brand new playtest document for the new (version/edition/update) of Dungeons of Dragons available for download! This one is an enormous 77 pages and includes classes, spells, feats, and weapons.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents updated rules on seven classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and Rogue. This document also presents multiple subclasses for each of those classes, new Spells, revisions to existing Spells and Spell Lists, and several revised Feats. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest document.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Continuity
I mean, yes they want it backwards compatable. OK, so tie a new ability in there which gives them a d4 temp hit points for each hit die to start the day, and after each expenditure of hit dice, representing a reserve of attunement to the world gained through meditation or something. But these guys are going to be on the front line a lot and deserve some more durabilty to take hits than they're getting.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Not sure if monk has been fixed or not. 5e fans can't agree on whether or not fire is hot, but there's near unanimous consensus that Stunning Strike is too good and almost everything else about the monk is a bit weak. So I'm surprised that Stunning Strike has been barely nerfed and the rest of monk is kind of the same. At least elemental monks got the big overhaul they badly needed.
Stunning Strike got the nerf it needed, which is that you can't spam all your Ki points in one round trying to get Stunning Strike to stick. Which is less about nerfing for power and more that it was just an unpleasant play loop.

Monk is better than it was, but it's still only a 4 out of 10 instead of a 2 out of 10. I have an alt-monk I use in my home games, and nothing they've done here would drive me to switch.

Beastmaster Ranger lv7 feature... do they mean your beast gets two actions every time you command it? Like, attack+Help?

7TH LEVEL: EXCEPTIONAL TRAINING
When you use your Bonus Action to command
your Primal Companion beast to take an action,
you can also command it to take the Dash,
Disengage, Dodge, or Help action as a Bonus
Action.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I do think there are people that get into the bad habit of determining whether something is weak in context of each other rather than in context of the content.

I get monk's have the lowest defenses and AC for a martial, so they'll be going down more often than a fighter. But if in the context of the game, there's a total of 2 times a character falls in combat, their lower survivability might not be such a huge issue.

But looking further, I do think the monk needs a few more tweaks. I feel like WoTC is still treating them quite harshly.
Beastmaster Ranger lv7 feature... do they mean your beast gets two actions every time you command it? Like, attack+Help?
Yes, that's exactly what that means.

Remove ads

Remove ads