• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Marvel RPG?

Flobby

Explorer
Anyone heard any details about that new CORTEX Marvel RPG? I see that its due to be released next month but have heard nothing about it. Anyone seen any previews or anything?

Greg K

Legend
If you go to rpg.net Cam has revealed some info. It looks like it is going to be very much an "indie" game.

The products will be event based (e.g., Breakout, Civil War) rather than traditional team books or Marvel Handbook collections and will come in two formats: Premium with the basic rule book ($40) and one without $30. Event Books for 2012: Civil War, Annihilation, Age of Apocalypse

There will be a basic rule book ($20) that you can buy separately which is why there will be a cheaper version without the basic rule book.

The event books will have write-ups for characters based on their appearance in the event (I am not certain, but I think there are supposed to be books for tie-ins as well)

The default assumption is that you will be playing the Marvel characters in the events although you will be able to make up your own characters using the basic rules (think of the original yellow Marvel FASERIP boxed set)

No traditional attributes (strength, agility, etc.) unless super and the ratings will be d8 to d12.

Characters are rated by the following:
1. Affiliation: how they perform in Solo, Buddy and Team
a. You have a d6, d8, d10 and assign one to one of the three

2. Distinctions:
a. Every character has 3 distinctions
b. Distinctions are kind of like Fate Aspects in that they can be a benefit or a hindrance depending upon circumstances
c. If you a hindrance, you roll a d4 you get +1PP , because it causes trouble
d. When beneficial, you you roll a d8 (not sure if you can have higher or lower)

3. Power Sets
rating goes up to d12

4. Specialties:
a. The list of specialties are: Acrobatic, Business, Combat, Cosmic, Covert, Crime, Medical, Menace, Mystic, Psych, Science, Tech, Vehicles
b. Specialties are rated d6, d8=Expert, d10=Master.
c. You can split dice into multiple smaller dice.

5. Milestones
a. Characters write-ups have milestones based upon the character's appearance in the event or tie-in book
b. You get XP for each milestone you meet

6. Players get Plot Points.

7. The GM is called the Watcher and has a doom pool

8. There are no hit points, but two sets of three tracks which increase in dice that can be used against you.
a. There are Physical, Mental, and Emotional Stress; and
b. Physical, Mental, and Emotional Trauma.

"Think of Stress as being bashed up, bruised, and battered, while Trauma is what happens when you take lasting injury and hurt. Your opponent gets to use your Stress or Trauma for free as a bonus die in opposition to you, just like Smallville. Physical, Mental, Emotional"

9. Heroes in the Main book (write-ups based upon Breakout):
Armor, Beast, Black Panther, Black Widow, Captain America, Colossus, Cyclops, Daredevil, Emma Frost, Human Torch, Invisible Woman, Iron Fist, Iron Man, Luke Cage, Mister Fantastic, Ms. Marvel, Sentry, Shadowcat, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Storm, Thing, and Wolverine. (Note: No Hulk or Thor due to Ragnarok and Planet Hulk.)
You can find a Captain America write-up and a sneak peak of the Savage Lands at the Margaret Weiss Productions website

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
update: Heroes in main book

Heroes in the main book:
Armor, Beast, Black Panther, Black Widow, Captain America, Colossus, Cyclops, Daredevil, Emma Frost, Human Torch, Invisible Woman, Iron Fist, Iron Man, Luke Cage, Mister Fantastic, Ms. Marvel, Sentry, Shadowcat, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Storm, Thing, and Wolverine. (Note: No Hulk or Thor due to Ragnarok and Planet Hulk.)

The write-ups are based upon Breakout

Greg K

Legend
Character Generation update

No point based system or random system in the main book.

A random character generator will be a web update.

I already preordered, this is the Superhero game i've been waiting for, no levels (never made sense for a supers game) and no hit points. I like it's concept, where you can have Wasp running into the Juggernaut and handle herself like in a comic scene. No offense to M&M but that was Super D&D where Marvel Heroic RPG looks to bring the comic feel to heroes.

Brock

Greg K

Legend
I already preordered, this is the Superhero game i've been waiting for, no levels (never made sense for a supers game) and no hit points. I like it's concept, where you can have Wasp running into the Juggernaut and handle herself like in a comic scene. No offense to M&M but that was Super D&D where Marvel Heroic RPG looks to bring the comic feel to heroes.

Brock

To each their own. My rankings are

1st (best): Icons, M&M 2e, Marvel Superhero Adventure Game (the one using cards if I Steve Kenson's free web supplements including his collection of both his and the online group fixes)
2nd: M&M 3e, DC Heroes 2e and 3e (Mayfair)
3rd: Champions, Silver Age Sentinels, V&V revised (using Jeff Dee's Simple point buy and skill system)
4th: Marvel Superhero Adventure Game (cards)
5th: Marvel RPG (classic TSR version)
6th: Marvel Universe (QED/Marvel w/stones), DC Universe (West End Games), Superworld, V&V revised
7th: Truth and Justice
8th: Brave New World, Capes, Heroes Unlimited, V&V 1e, With Great Power
9th: (worst): Enforcers, Foundation, Superhero 2044

Right now, the new Marvel Game sounds like 4th-5th category for my tastes ( then, move down an additional step due to the event based format). Most of the base elements listed above sound pretty good, but there are too few specialties for my tastes, I don't like that there is not some kind of Edge mechanic similar to the Marvel SAGA game to reflect the difference between novice heroes (e.g., early New Mutants), the X-men, and someone like Captain America or Thor. I also have some concerns that combat will run into some of the issues of the original game.

And, again, I dislike the event based format. Other than the Mutant Massascre, I have never liked the major cross over events. Furthermore, with the exception of Busiek/Perez Avengers and Spiderman (pre-resetting the issue numbers), I have had no interest in the Marvel Universe from the point circa the Inferno and forward (Winter Soldier being the one exception).

However, I am waiting to see the actual product as Cam has surprised me before.

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend

Brock

Let's see. M&M strips the d20 system down to the chasis and build it back up. It has no classes, no levels (power levels are not D&D levels), no hit points. Armor reduces damage not make you harder to hit. It has no Vancian system. You don't gain automatic bonuses to hit or saves. It only uses a d20. And each version moves farther away from the d20 roots. Calling it Super D&D seems like an ignorant statement.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads