• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance New Dragonlance AP

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
While I agree with most of the points made by earlier posters who criticize the books, I just re-read the original trilogy....and...I really enjoyed them.

I got back into TTRPGs a couple years ago with 5e after a couple decades of not playing. The great thing about this, is that I get to experience some of the excitement and joy I had with this stuff as a kid.

This led me to reading a lot of the fantasy classics, starting with Conan, then the Dying Earth series, then Fafhrd and Gray Mouser, then Dragon Lance. None of them are the most amazing examples of worth smithing. But they all have that spark of magic that kept me reading until I devoured their entire series.

Dragon Lance is still a book that I would feel good about giving a pre-teen to kindle or further flame his or interest in fantasy. Also, of the "classics" it is the one I would think of first to give to a girl. Lord of the Rings, Conan, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, and the Dying Earth books—these are books written for boys. Dragon Lance is has important characters of both genders who play all roles — good, evil, innocent and meek, world wise and dangerous. I don't want to start any political debates, but if you are looking for a book of fantasy for a young girl that shows not just forced-in "role models" but a variety of female protagonists and antagonists who take their place among men, you couldn't do much better than Dragon Lance.

Remove ads