• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Class: The Mover

Status
Not open for further replies.

neceros

Adventurer
Hey everyone,

I've been watching some movies again and was inspired to make a class devoted to telekinesis. I've always always been a fan of tk, so it was fun to make what I have.

Please critique it as best you can. I want this to be balanced and not too powerful, though I don't think it is.

Class: The Mover

By the way, I've designed this Pathfinder, so the skills may look strange if you don't know about PFRPG.

Wicht

Hero
Looking it over a couple of quick thoughts. Firstly, I think there should be a limit per day for each of the different powers (Or maybe 3+charisma bonus per hour). Otherwise I think you are looking at something too powerful. Mindthrust in particular becomes better than a sneak attack in that it is constantly on, whether the opponent is flatfooted or not. One possible fix is to make it 1d4 so its not competing so much with a rogues sneak. As a ranged attack you might consider cutting the range in half as well if you want to keep it as unlimited usage.

With the Nova burst, once per encounter is too haphazard a measurement for my tastes. Just make it a certain number of times per day is my advice.

I'm not too sure how I feel about a constant flight power at 10th level. Maybe if it was at half speed I could appreciate it better. Likewise for Spell Stop I think its too powerful for a PC. I would make it use an attack of opportunity to bat away a spell and I would make it a will save vs. the spell being cast to accomplish it.

Overall I like the class but my initial reading makes me think its slightly overpowered. I wouldn't mind seeing it being playtested though.

neceros

Adventurer
Looking it over a couple of quick thoughts. Firstly, I think there should be a limit per day for each of the different powers (Or maybe 3+charisma bonus per hour). Otherwise I think you are looking at something too powerful. Mindthrust in particular becomes better than a sneak attack in that it is constantly on, whether the opponent is flatfooted or not. One possible fix is to make it 1d4 so its not competing so much with a rogues sneak. As a ranged attack you might consider cutting the range in half as well if you want to keep it as unlimited usage.

With the Nova burst, once per encounter is too haphazard a measurement for my tastes. Just make it a certain number of times per day is my advice.

I'm not too sure how I feel about a constant flight power at 10th level. Maybe if it was at half speed I could appreciate it better. Likewise for Spell Stop I think its too powerful for a PC. I would make it use an attack of opportunity to bat away a spell and I would make it a will save vs. the spell being cast to accomplish it.

Overall I like the class but my initial reading makes me think its slightly overpowered. I wouldn't mind seeing it being playtested though.

Thanks for the feedback!

I can understand your dilemma about the amount of actions in a round. However, I think they are justified with action economy being what it is. Plus the fact that that's all he gets: no spells, his skills are vastly inferior, etc.

The encounter power should have been the way things were done in the first place. I'll chalk it up to bad sacred cows. Look in book of nine swords and tome of magic for instances of uses per encounter.

I like your attack of opportunity idea.

Now, the mind thrust. Firstly, I'd like to point out the warlock. He gets as much damage in a round as a rogue does, plus the fact he only needs to hit touch armors, AND the damage is untyped. I've considerably reduced this down, and I Wasn't even using a rogue or warlock in comparison. I think the maximum of 6d6 is decent, considering the flavor of the class. The range I could cut down, I'm not too picky on that.

More feedback! :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I currently can't move threads -- a database glitch that will go away when we upgrade -- so I'll close this and ask that you start a new one in the Pathfinder forum. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads