• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

need help with cr for 2 character party

wolfpunk

First Post
My group has recently changed from a four person party, to a two person group. As a DM before I had no trouble with Challenge Ratings. However, I am a bit unsure of how to go about determining appropriate CR now that I only have two players.

Could anyone give me a quick lesson in this, or point out a page number where I can find the answer?

I appreciate any help I can get, and I suspect my players will too.

MythandLore

First Post
wolfpunk said:
My group has recently changed from a four person party, to a two person group. As a DM before I had no trouble with Challenge Ratings. However, I am a bit unsure of how to go about determining appropriate CR now that I only have two players.

Could anyone give me a quick lesson in this, or point out a page number where I can find the answer?

I appreciate any help I can get, and I suspect my players will too.
Check out DMG p.102
If you need more help post with what.

graydoom

First Post
IIRC, you'll need to give them challenges 2 or 3 CR below normal.
Might also help to have an NPC or two accompany them, either a cohort or two or some independent NPC.

Falex

First Post
It seems pretty simple. You lost 50% of your members, you can try by taking their character sheets and screwing around with what you had planned for the future for them. Try lowering the mobs by say, 50%? Whereas say a 4 person party encountered 6 orcs, a 2 person party would be suited for 3 orcs. It also depends on the classes of your remaining players. If ones a mage and the others a thief, you may want to encorperate a DM-run NPC for the party which can tank. If ones a tank and the others a healer, kudos. If worse comes to worse, scrap the campaign, and revamp it for a 2 person party =).

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Two characters of the same CR have a combined EL of CR + 2. A party of two characters with the same ECL should generally face creatures of CR = ECL - 2 (CR = ECL + 2 for deadly, climactic battles).

A goblin Ftr5 and ogre Bbn3 hav a combined EL of 7.

A human Wiz7 and dwarf Ftr4/Bbn3 generally fights CR 5 monsters, with "boss monsters" of CR 9 or so.

All of this is by the book; an experienced DM will adjust these as needed.

Ace32

Explorer
It might just be my group, but I find that for every 2 people more than the 'normal' base of 4, I add have battles +1 EL for the usual of that average party level, and for less people, I subtract 1 EL.

wolfpunk

First Post
Thank you all very much. It is rather difficult sometimes to decide where to begin when you have to undergo a dramatic change in a campaign, especially when it is unforseen. I will start with using CR-2 and see how that works out. I appreciate the prompt feedback.

Remove ads