• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NEED ADVICE: Call of Cthulhu - "Best" Edition For Newcomers and Long Absent Players

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Lost in the dusty recesses of my waning memory, I have fond recollections of my misspent college weekends, playing RPGs across the spectrum. This was in the early 90s when there was an embarrassment of riches when it came to gaming. Our default was Vampire. But we also had Dark Sun, Saturday afternoons spent playing Shadowfist and MtG, and, for a bit, Call of Cthulhu. Though I remember few details of the game itself, I remember enjoying our "Horror On The Orient Express" campaign.

My question is this:

For newcomers and functional newcomers, which edition of CoC would you recommend and, if you would be so kind, why?

Herne'sSon

Villager
Versions 1-6 are functionally the same system. And there are thousands of copies printed, and available on the secondary market. I'd skip the 7th edition, and just track down a used copy of 5th or 6th. You can probably find one at the usual used book finding places for a fraction of the price of the new edition, and it'll be 100% instantly compatible with the hundreds of supplements produced for the 1-6 editions.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
For newcomers and functional newcomers, which edition of CoC would you recommend and, if you would be so kind, why?
The latest edition if for nothing else ease of access. It’s the best version of the game I’ve played. It does a few things I’m not a fan of, like ditching the resistance chart, but that’s a minor quibble for a great edition.

Remove ads