• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mounted Combat Question

Melkor

Explorer
Page 198 of the PHB under Controlling a Mount states:

"The initiative of a controlled mount changes to match yours when you mount it. It moves as you direct it, and it has only three action options: Dash, Disengage, and Dodge."

If you look at the Warhorse description of the Warhorse on p.311, it lists Trampling Charge which talks about using a Hoof Attack.

I'm assuming that much like the Warlock Pact of the Chain that allows you to use your action so that a familiar can attack, you could sacrifice your action to make your mount attack, but it doesn't specify that in the rules. Thoughts?

I would absolutely allow it, at least if the rider had Handle Animal or the Mounted Combatant feat. But while I think that's the sensible way to go, I don't think it's RAW. :-S

the Jester

Legend
Well, I'd love to get in on this conversation, but I still have six days until my PH finally- FINALLY!- arrives and I get to read the damned rules already.

But I do like what you suggest without being able to examine it.

This is a situation where I think using your own action to allow the mount to attack is completely appropriate. I'm not sure how I'd handle it, but I'd like there to be some way that a warhorse or other battle trained mount could attack without needing your full action, but to keep it simple, I wouldn't worry about that.

I probably wouldn't let you do that with a riding horse or other non-combative type of mount.

Li Shenron

Legend
Page 198 of the PHB under Controlling a Mount states:

"The initiative of a controlled mount changes to match yours when you mount it. It moves as you direct it, and it has only three action options: Dash, Disengage, and Dodge."

If you look at the Warhorse description of the Warhorse on p.311, it lists Trampling Charge which talks about using a Hoof Attack.

I'm assuming that much like the Warlock Pact of the Chain that allows you to use your action so that a familiar can attack, you could sacrifice your action to make your mount attack, but it doesn't specify that in the rules. Thoughts?

It does sound like an overlook, not letting the mount attack.

I haven't seen the full PHB rules, only the Basic rules, and they also mention those 3 possible actions (obviously, plus the regular move). Unfortunately the vehicles/mount section in Tools doesn't have any additional info.

Are there maybe feats which specifically allow you to let your mount take an attack action? If that's the case, it probably means it is by design that mounts cannot use their attacks while having a rider, unless the rider knows (i.e. has the feat) how to make them attack.

Otherwise, I would rule that they can attack, but only if they are creatures specifically trained to fight in battle with a rider (the Warhorse is almost by definition such creature, but in some campaign you may require it to have some additional training).

jadrax

Adventurer
There is no default option to let a mount attack.

So, like with many things in 5th edition, it is a case of 'Improvising an Action'.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think if a player is using it appropriately (riding over a prone enemy, breaking an enemy line, etc) and not spam-trampling, I would certainly allow it. In fact, I would consider it a crime not to allow it. It's just plain cool.

I agree with Mouse that while any character ought to be able to ride, you'd have to have Animal Handling or the Feat (or at least have the Background of Soldier with the Cavalry option) to designate SOME sort of training. I wouldn't necessarily ask for a skill check unless the situation had some extra factors that would make it particularly difficult. (Mostly to save time, I don't think a check would be needed every time, especially if the character was likely to make said check most of the time.)

Melkor

Explorer
In rereading the description, it actually seems to me like you are able to choose from turn to turn whether or not you control the mount (so long as it's not intelligent like a dragon).

On turns you choose to control it, it acts on your initiative, and can only perform three actions options: Dash, Disengage, and Dodge.

On turns you don't control it, it acts on its own initiative and can take whatever actions it could normally take. The text states: "It might flee from combat, rush to attack and devour a badly injured foe, or otherwise act against your wishes."

So a Warhorse that you controlled on a turn and moved into a group of enemies, then chose not to control it the next turn, it might hoof attack on its own. A riding horse that wasn't trained for combat might just run away.

The only thing that might seem to contradict the above is that it states "The initiative of a controlled mount changes to match yours when you mount it." That could be interpreted to mean you do not choose to control the mount or not from turn to turn, but it is simply a one time choice when you first get on the mount.

Remove ads