• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte Cook makes a statement about the OGL and MCG license

darjr

I crit!

Vaalingrade

Legend
Yes. There is no uncertainty regarding the intent of the OGL when it was framed.
The real question is how much the clear intent and testimony of the drafters of the document goes in the court of law.

And how much the language of the new license is designed to convince people it won't go that far so they sign their rights away on the new thing out of fear and zero notice.

mamba

Legend
And how much the language of the new license is designed to convince people it won't go that far so they sign their rights away on the new thing out of fear and zero notice.
Given the leak we have seen the new license basically reads 'hand over all your rights and pray we do not make the terms worse for you whenever we feel like it', so I do not see much wiggle room to interpret it too optimistically there

Shiroiken

Legend
The real question is how much the clear intent and testimony of the drafters of the document goes in the court of law.
Preface that I'm not a lawyer (despite the many weighing in), but I do work in contracts. Intent, if available from the author, does has some influence in contract resolution, which should be beneficial in this case. However, the level of influence is going to be dependent upon the individual judge. More than likely the WotC lawyers are going to try to focus away from the supposed intent, bringing up the fact that the OGL brought about their largest competitor.

Yaarel

He-Mage
Preface that I'm not a lawyer (despite the many weighing in), but I do work in contracts. Intent, if available from the author, does has some influence in contract resolution, which should be beneficial in this case. However, the level of influence is going to be dependent upon the individual judge. More than likely the WotC lawyers are going to try to focus away from the supposed intent, bringing up the fact that the OGL brought about their largest competitor.
It was precisely the "poison pill" of the 4e GSL that brought about their largest competitor.

If WotC continued with the OGL 1.0a without interruption, Paizo would have created new content for 4e. For WotC.

And the many D&D players whose needs Paizo met would be WotC customers, purchasing WotC Players Handbook and supplements with Paizo options.

Remove ads