• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Monstrous manual

mips42

Adventurer
I just got my first real look at the 5e monster manual and realized that none of the monsters has a listed initiative bonus / penalty. I am presuming this is to support the 'talk first, fight second' idea, but there is a part of me that misses it.
Oh well. if needed, I guess I'll just use the Dex bonus and go from there.

Game on!

Rune

Once A Fool
Similarly, since the DMG optional morale check is just a Wisdom check, a morale score also is not called out, but is, in fact, listed in each entry.

HEEGZ

First Post
Yep, just add the Dex modifier to the d20 roll.

My biggest conundrum is whether to roll initiative for mixed groups as a whole, or to roll them separately and split them up. I end up doing several things. I might roll a d20 for each monster type and take the lowest, highest, or middle roll and they all act on the same turn. Sometimes I split up all monster types into separate turns based on their rolls. Finally, I have started dumping groups into one turn, and named boss creatures into separate turns based on their initiative.

Remove ads