• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Monster Optimization 101: Armor Crab

Either the first, or possibly a species of crustaceans who have figured out metalworking.
Awesome.

I think I'm more excited for the possibility of a suit of armor in some old wizard's tower that starts to move, and the players think "oh god, another animated armor" only to discover that it's actually a colony of twelve armor crabs!

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Awesome.

I think I'm more excited for the possibility of a suit of armor in some old wizard's tower that starts to move, and the players think "oh god, another animated armor" only to discover that it's actually a colony of twelve armor crabs!
12 crabs in a t̶r̶e̶n̶c̶h̶c̶o̶a̶t̶ suit of full plate?

12 crabs in a t̶r̶e̶n̶c̶h̶c̶o̶a̶t̶ suit of full plate?
Yep.

Probably not actually a hard fight, but the characters who beat the crabs on initiative spend the opening turns attacking the armor like they would a solo enemy, when in fact it's a bunch of tiny enemies with plate armor AC, that hop apart and swarm everyone, making the AoE that could easily take them all out unsafe to cast.

From that point on they'll be casting Burning Hands on every suit of armor they see.

Remove ads