• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Monks nerfed in 3.5?

Staffan

Legend
Ranger REG said:
For example, a creature with DR 10/adamantine would resist an enchanted sword +5, but is helpless against an adamantine sword.
Precisely.

Personally, I think it would be cool if there were some (not many, but some) monsters that required "non-qualities" to beat their DR. For instance, a monster that had big DR against magic weapons, but regular ones slice it up just fine.

Another thing to consider - dealing damage is not the only way to attack someone. If the Monk instead decides to trip, grapple or disarm its target, he will make it much easier for everyone. (A Glove of Fearsome Grip can really help here).

Mustrum Ridcully

Skaros

First Post
what source books are the glove of fearsome grip and bracers of striking from? I've seen both referenced here.

Thanks,

Skaros

Tzarevitch

First Post
Skaros said:
what source books are the glove of fearsome grip and bracers of striking from? I've seen both referenced here.

Thanks,

Skaros

I think the Bracers of Striking are in the Magic of Faerun book.

Tzarevitch

Tzarevitch

First Post
Grog said:

But monks do so little damage that if they can't bypass DR, they're pretty much screwed.

Monks cap out at d20 damage. How is that "so little damage"? Rogues tend to be the ones with the greatest difficulty bypassing DR because they can't always be guaranteed to be able to sheak attack their foes and they frequently don't have much strength. Elementals, outsiders, undead and constructs are the types that most often have DR and the rogue can't sneak attack three of the four.

Monks fight all types equally and their d20 damage die at high levels gives them a big leg up to breaching all but the monstrously high construct DRs (which almost no one can breach anyway). There are also feats and magic items which allow a monk to inflict 1 1/2 Str damage on a charge for even greater DR penetration. The only real problem that a monk has is that he doesn't get his KI bonus to hit or damage.

Tzarevitch

Grog

First Post
Tzarevitch said:
Monks cap out at d20 damage. How is that "so little damage"?

Monks don't get d20's for damage until 16th level or so. Compare that damage to the damage a 16th level fighter or barbarian with a greatsword will do.

Tzarevitch

First Post
Grog said:

Monks don't get d20's for damage until 16th level or so. Compare that damage to the damage a 16th level fighter or barbarian with a greatsword will do.

If the monk isn't keeping up in damage it is no one's fault but his own. A barebones fighter with a greatsword does not significantly out damage the monk unless the monk isn't acquiring similar equipment for some reason or you are talking about a low-level fighter and monk. The area the fighter has the unparalleled advantage is in ability to hit not damage. Yes a low level monk can't match the damage of a low-level fighter (ranger, barbarian or paladin) with a greatsword but neither can anyone else. The fighter's damage is independent of his level while the monk's is very dependent on his level.

Even if you could argue that the fighter regularly outdamages the monk (as far as I can tell this only possible if: 1) the target AC is high enough that the fighter can hit regularly and the monk can't but not so high that neither can score regular hits, 2) if the fighter has a very good weapon and the monk hasn't been able to acquire something comparable; 3) if both are low level, the monk's small die will not even remotely match up to the figher's 2d6 greatsword), the monk's damage is still much better than any non-figher-type class can hope to put out.

Tzarevitch

Asheron

First Post
[diplomatic]
I don't think we can name anything nerfed based on the info we have right know on v3.5. No further comments.

[/diplomatic]

Well, Asheron, you miss something: :)
Obviously people can call anything shafted or nerfed, regardless on their information :)
And wouldn`t it be boring here if we didn`t do it from time to time? :)

Mustrum Ridcully

Remove ads