• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Modifying the Bard as non magical, more "realistic"

peterka9

Explorer
I modified the Bard as the Philosopher, using INT instead of CHA and changing the words fluff. Cosmetic changes.

I'll like to know if my bardic inspiration nerf (in scope and flexibility, not mere power) is balanced by the non magical nature of the "spells". Anti-magic is situational, so it may be hard to balance. I nerfed healing, using Hit Point Dice as an additional resource.

There is always a trick
Philosophical knowledge is not countered with a dispell magic spell, an anti-magic sphere and other featured limiting magic. The focus also becomes superfluous. However, healing now draws from the life dice of the recipients. Any healing spell requires a Hit Dice from the recipient in addition to a spell slot. For the other spells, a "scientific" explanation can be provided, see the appendix.

Philosophical advice (instead of bardic inspiration )
You have an amazing general education, from academic source, and you never forget lecturing others. To do this, use a bonus action on your turn to assess a fight, a problem to be solved or an imminent danger. Then choose a creature other than yourself within 60' of you who can hear you. This creature is granted a Philosopher's Council die (d6), which applies to a given situation, This creature can keep the die roll and add the number obtained to an ability check, attack or save roll it just made as long as the advice is still applicable. Once the Philosopher's advice die is rolled, it is consumed. A creature can only have one Philosopher advice die at a time. For example, the advice may relate to an orc who has a weakness noticed by the philosopher in the previous round; on an increased method to better climb a mountain or to resist a possible poisoned dart.

You can use this ability a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier (minimum 1). You regain your Philosopher advice dice after completing a long rest. Your Philosopher advice die changes when you reach certain levels in this class. The die goes to a d8 at level 5, a d10 at level 10, and a d12 at level 15.

Your opinion ?

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
The examples and scope of Philosophical Advice, while obstensibly from a general knowledge base (so Intelligence) seem to align more with Wisdom (perception, insight).

I would be wary of nerfing the Bard in scope and flexibility, as their spell list and spells known are significant restrictions on their scope and flexibility to begin with, while most of their other features (including magical secrets) exist to compensate and make them otherwise one of the most flexible classes out there.

If you're going to then reduce the scope and flexibility of the Bard, you're transforming it in a way that changes its entire placement in the balance of the classes. It exists as a Jack-of-Trades, Master-of-None, and any further reductions in their scope & flexibility undermine that role. So you're going to have to either find a new role for the class, or else try to mitigate these changes with increases in other areas.

The concept isn't bad, and HD-powered healing was one of the most interesting things about 4e.

peterka9

Explorer
If you're going to then reduce the scope and flexibility of the Bard, you're transforming it in a way that changes its entire placement in the balance of the classes. It exists as a Jack-of-Trades, Master-of-None, and any further reductions in their scope & flexibility undermine that role. So you're going to have to either find a new role for the class, or else try to mitigate these changes with increases in other areas.

I just want to change bardic inspiration, nothing else. And make spells and bardic inspiration wisdom-based will buff the class, since wisdom saves are more frequent than intelligence saves.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
XP for creating and sharing.

Me? I'd just draw up a Fighter and give him a high CHA. But first, I'd try to get the DM to let me play a Gentleman.

peterka9

Explorer
XP for creating and sharing.

Me? I'd just draw up a Fighter and give him a high CHA. But first, I'd try to get the DM to let me play a Gentleman.

My vision is to allow pacifists to get non-lethal spells only if they want. A fighter cannot be a pacifist!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads