• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mirror Image and Druid

Princelucianus

Explorer
I normally wouldn't post this, but now I can't really find it.

Anyway, the druid in my campaign was wondering what would happen if he'd cast ''Mirror Image'' and then use his wildshape?
Take a bear f.i: Would that be possible?
I don't see anything in the rules that would make it illegal.
Funnier even, with his Dex 14, the copies would even have a better AC.

Thanks for your time.

Harzel

Adventurer
I'd also be inclined to say the images look like the wild shape form. I'd also say the the images' AC is 10 + DEX-mod-of-wild-shape-form since the images are mimicking the caster's actions.

Bore_nanu

First Post
I normally wouldn't post this, but now I can't really find it.

Anyway, the druid in my campaign was wondering what would happen if he'd cast ''Mirror Image'' and then use his wildshape?
Take a bear f.i: Would that be possible?
I don't see anything in the rules that would make it illegal.
Funnier even, with his Dex 14, the copies would even have a better AC.

Thanks for your time.
I'm like 4 years too late, but I found this post on a Google search of mirror image + wild shape... This came up in my game and I decided to have the druid roll an arcana check to have the images convincingly change into snakes like her. She crit. The dice gods have decided the case.

Stormonu

Legend
Late to the party but I agree with responses above.

The real question is: could the Druid cast Barkskin (or the Wizard cast Mage Armor) on one or more of the images? ;)

Yora

Legend
That's not a real question. You can't cast any spells on mirror images.

(Well, you can cast attack spells on them, which make them disapppear.)

That's not a real question. You can't cast any spells on mirror images.

(Well, you can cast attack spells on them, which make them disapppear.)
Technically, you are right first time - you can never specifically target a mirror image. An attack spell cast on the source of the images might be diverted to an image, but it can't be targeted directly.

Which answers the original question: RAW Mirror Image works exactly the same no matter what form the image source takes. If we are to make the narrative fit the rules, the images must always be a duplicate of the current form of the caster, no matter how that might change.

Another example would be if the caster is hidden or invisible. Since you can't target an image, one has to assume they are also hidden/invisible.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads