• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Minotaur PC's (ala DragonLance)

Wolf72

Explorer
Not happy with some of the conversions over at the Nexus ... and definitely don't want to try a MM version ...

If you've ever played in the DragonLance setting then you probably know a little about minotaurs and their civilizations (no-prize if you know who Kaz is)

+4 str, +2 con, -2 int, -2 wis, -2 cha. Big and strong ... but they can still have potential as a spell caster. (hey some have created a full fledged empire)

Medium Size (large End) [7 1/2'+ tall, 400+ lbs] (ps. does anyone remember where the relative size chart, that has creature size and weight, is? pps. duh, how about the MM p5)

+1 Natural AC

+2 intuit direction. Can use skill untrained

Can select scent as a feat

Immune to Maze Spells

Natural Attk: head butt/gore 1d8 + 1/2 str

Favored class: Imperial Minotaur--Fighter, Mithan/kothan--Barbarian.

LA +1

Last edited:

graydoom

First Post
Prety cool idea! Though I think natural reach would push them ECL +2.
Wolf72 said:
starting HD (ONLY) is next category up, max of d12
And urgh. Messing with HD types is just messy. Consider giving them toughness instead?

I'd advise just making them ECL +2 and giving them toughness. Natural Reach 10' IMO is a really big benefit, and would make them easily ECL +3.

Wolf72

Explorer
Normal reach for a Large sized humanoid is 10', how about leaving that off as it is pretty strong. (don't think it would warrant a LA +3 though)

no messing with HD? ... gone then.

drop scent as a free feat (but leave the option open)

and I think that would be a more solid LA +1

recap:
no reach
no scent (character may take this as a feat though)
no HD change (hey, take the +4 con and be happy!)

graydoom

First Post
Wolf72 said:
Normal reach for a Large sized humanoid is 10', how about leaving that off as it is pretty strong. (don't think it would warrant a LA +3 though)

no messing with HD? ... gone then.

drop scent as a free feat (but leave the option open)

and I think that would be a more solid LA +1

recap:
no reach
no scent (character may take this as a feat though)
no HD change (hey, take the +4 con and be happy!)
Heh, I'd be happy with it :). Looks good to me. I still think that it would be a bit powerful for an ECL +1 race, but I guess its reasonably balanced and I think you should wait to get the input of someone other than me before making any more changes :).
Good race! They'll make very nice barbarians.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
+8 to physical stats with a -6 to mental stats is not ECL +1. (I think the other boni and penalties even out)

But then, I prefer the Nexus version. Not that I liked that much. BTW, is the nexus actually progressing at all? It doesn't look like it...

Hmmm.. must post something in "general".

Rav

Wolf72

Explorer
stats are not everything, there is other ways to balance a class ...

Aasimar have +4 ... and - nada

if you use soldarins ECL calculator I think this minotaur (with out reach or scent feat) ends up at a +1.5 or so ... easily a LA +1 creature (you round down).

a slightly powerful one.

LA+2 is also certainly feasible.

sorry I just don't buy that races stats should all balance out (hobgolin or bugbear?).

+1 or +2 that is the question (personally I'll go with +1 ... after all no starting HD except for normal class HD)

Wolf72

Explorer
Rav said:
+8 to physical stats with a -6 to mental stats is not ECL +1. (I think the other boni and penalties even out)

But then, I prefer the Nexus version. Not that I liked that much. BTW, is the nexus actually progressing at all? It doesn't look like it...

Hmmm.. must post something in "general".

Rav

The one thing I didn't like about the minotaurs in the nexus' versions was that they only got a +2 str.

I want minotaurs big and strong, so +4 str, L size w/o 10'reach ...

if anything, drop the con to +2 and chalk up that according to the DMG the stats won't even out to the creature being of large size.

if con drops to +2 it will most definitely be a LA +1 creature

Last edited:

Darklone

Cool

Very interesting topic! Love minotaurs.

As for stats... The MM minotaur is ECL +8... Well.

What I would do: Keep the reach. If you give him greater size, don't mess with the reach. But you could easily give them 7ft size ==> medium size!

That would explain a lot in comparison to the MM minotaurs.

Then go with Str +4, dex -2, con +2, int -4, wis 0, cha -2.
Well... I always considered them hotheaded but clever ... so perhaps exchange wis and int modifier.

Keep the gore attack (since they are medium size it's balanced to the MM minotaur). Allow them to purchase scent. And give them Intuit direction as class skill.

There you go with a ECL 1 or even ECL 0 race. Ah favored class: barbarian. Though that's pretty strong too.

Wolf72

Explorer
Size M?

might work ... be on the largest side of Medium

-4 int? nope, I'm talking about krynn minotaurs ... the ones that broke off and formed their own empire! They even had their own order of Wizarrds (gray robes ... although I think it was more of an imperial tracking center of who could cast magic)

so I don't really want to hose them on any spellcasting opp's (-2 in all mental stats seemed enough).

+8 ECL, yup that is exactly what I wanted to get away from.

alright new changes going to be edited in the first msg are: +2 con, Size M, intuit direction as class skill (w/bonus) ...

Darklone

Minos

Looks good ... but mom: gore attack: 1D8+ Str/2...
is it kinda offhand attack or that special charge?

As charge I would rule Str *1.5

As offhand attack... it's ok but they still need multiattack and similar things...

All in all... I would still go with Wis 0 and Int -4, there may be minotaurs with Int 14 who can cast nice spells... :)

LA +1... ECL +1 ? or what does it mean?

Remove ads