Messenger System

El Jefe

First Post
Ok, many of you will know this story, but some won't, and it's a tale worth telling.

Many years ago, in the Society for Creative Anachronism (a sort of medieval live-action role playing group), a gentleman earned the title "King of the Eastern Kingdom". The SCA is and was divided into kingdoms, each covering several US states or other nations. In-character, he wrote a rather disrespectful letter to the king of the middle kingdom. This was all in-character and in jest, no real animosity was intended.

It is the custom in the SCA that all such in-character missives be hand delivered, generally by being passed from one person to another. It can take a while for such correspondance to be delivered.

Well, this letter to soooo long to be delivered that the "King" served his 6-month reign, took a job transfer, and ended up physically relocating to the middle kingdom. Being skilled in both combat and court intrigue (as well as a general all-around good guy), this fellow soon worked his way up to being recognized as King of the Middle Kingdom for a 6-month term.

You guessed it...he received his own letter, read it, and was outraged that the King of the East would pen such insults. He promptly declared war on the Eastern Kindom (any good excuse to get together, go camping, practice fighting, hold a joint court, feast, etc.).

That was over 30 years ago...they still fight the Pennsic War every year in the SCA.

I'd hope the LEW implications of characters being able to message other characters run by the same player would be obvious...

rln

Explorer
El Jefe, I hadn't heard that story. Thanks for sharing :)

A simple solution to messaging could be an NPC Wizard with a magic item that allows him to cast Sending at will. He may allow others to take advantage of this item for of 100 GP per usage (the standard price for a normal casting is 280 GP I believe).

Not sure if the LEW staff feels this is appropriate - it kind of reduces magic to something tradeable. I believe 100 GP is enough to make it usable, but not too usable :)

Remove ads