• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Mass Battle Rules for 4e

Parley is actually massively OP, in my opinion.

So I can auto-stun an important enemy, plus every enemy in a burst 6, at the cost of Standard action? And still use my Move and minor actions for something useful? (which monsters can't do because very few of them have useful Moves or minors)

Seems incredibly broken.

Cinematic, but broken. :p

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Parley is actually massively OP, in my opinion.

So I can auto-stun an important enemy, plus every enemy in a burst 6, at the cost of Standard action? And still use my Move and minor actions for something useful? (which monsters can't do because very few of them have useful Moves or minors)

Seems incredibly broken.

Cinematic, but broken. :p

Yeah I likely haven't analysed anything in terms of balance ;)

I think of note theoretically all sides in the conflict have access to the same battle deeds.

I would use the Fascinated condition. You can keep the enemy general's attention (and that nearby troops on both sides) "locked" on you, but if an obvious threat crops up (like one of your own allies taking advantage to try to stab them or something) the Fascinate effects break.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
And another case ... anybody seen this?

https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14241.phtml

Fred Hicks is a name I trust enough I think I will be be buying that.

The core premise of the above is rather similar to the Xena derived one ie a unit of troops is a character.

With a Race (or Military Tradition) and Class. Movement Rate skills etc
with everything operating under different size and time scales.

Cleric: Command staff; medical support
Fighter defender (martial) infantry; marines
Paladin defender (divine) Crusaders; jihadists
ranger striker (martial) Archers; cavalry; guerilla fighters
rogue striker (martial) Black ops; stealth troops
Warlock striker (Arcane) Pact troops; snipers
Warlord Leader (martial) Command staff; tactical support
Witch doctor Controller (Primal) doom patrol; hex-men
Wizard Controller (Arcane) Artillery; demolition troops

In other words scale up individual character mechanics.

It looks like it ends with some rather concrete examples near the end.

And includes some things which discuss how to integrate player characters in the action including some very larger than life options (which seem to me ought to be potentially tier Driven)

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
This one lacks tactical feel .... however it does have some basic simplicity going for it while accounting for quite a few factors. Perhaps the negative kicker is that it doesnt as much incorporate player character investment in the action. It assumes PCs will be the commanders but beyond that.

http://farlandworld.com/battle~.html

The Battle Results and Casualties tables are interesting, as well as some assumptions like each round or phase is basically a 6-8 hour work day ;)

For mass battles I suggest a new monster subtype: squad. It works as the swarm monster subtype but for group of bigger creatures, and with a pool of moral points. If the group suffers too much, it has enough life points but they demoralize because they lost moral points.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Basically we have
  • using Skill Challenges with the general battle progress generally reflecting the skill challenge results.
  • using Swarm Mechanics with skills applied to enhance them.
  • using Character Mechanics (with size and time scales applied)

Sometimes mixed in we have special maneuvers for interacting with troops.

Didn't one of the late 3e books have a system for how the battle could reflect what the PCs were doing? Complete Warrior, or maybe Complete Miniatures Handbook?

Yes. Generally, I did it like a game of Dynasty Warriors. The strategist might create cool options (and the enemy strategist might create difficult challenges) but it's really up to the PCs to make it work.

For instance, perhaps the enemies have a coven of hags, wafting poisonous gases from an ever-bubbling cauldron. That was a good move on the enemy strategist's part, as it could kill large numbers of NPC warriors, but it's not such a great move if the PCs kill the hags and break the cauldron, or worse take control of it and use it against the enemies.

Or perhaps the "good guy" strategist proposed a sneak attack at the enemy's rear, through mountains. Good move, as rear attacks are good, and rear surprise attacks even better... but there's a small but very strong rearguard protecting the route, composed of giants, including a shaman, plus a bunch of Glyphs of Warding. Regular warriors simply aren't going to cut through a barrier like that. The PCs take on the giants, routing them, negotiating a deal with them, taking control of them magically, recruiting them, killing and raising their bodies (maybe it's an evil party?) or otherwise deal with the encounter. Then they can move toward another "checkpoint" while their allied NPC warriors go to town on the enemy army.

The system was supposed to work with the Miniatures Book, but I don't recall if it was actually the Miniature's Handbook or not. (I never owned that product, so I'm going from memory here.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads