• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Magical Cleaving Weapon

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Looking to take a greatsword and make it a magical weapon of cleaving as its magical property.

a. just say you get the benefit of Great Weapon Master when wielding the weapon.
b. just use the first half of the feat when using the weapon.
c. use the alternate rules from the cleaving through creatures when wielding the weapon
d. or something I haven't thought of thats not too mechanically fiddly.

Greatsword.jpg

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I think I prefer Option A. Just add this line to the weapon's description:
"You have the Great Weapon Master feat while attuned to this weapon."

Nice and clean.

MarkB

Legend
I'd go with option B, plus a little something that will stack with Great Weapon Master - something like "if you already have the Great Weapon Master feat, the triggered attack will deal an additional 5 points of damage."

the Jester

Legend
D. "Once per round, when you reduce an enemy to 0 hps with this sword, you can make one additional melee weapon attack with the sword as part of the same attack."

This means that a person without the GWM feat gets a benefit, and that a person with the feat also gets a benefit- and comes out ahead of someone without the feat.

D. "Once per round, when you reduce an enemy to 0 hps with this sword, you can make one additional melee weapon attack with the sword as part of the same attack."

This means that a person without the GWM feat gets a benefit, and that a person with the feat also gets a benefit- and comes out ahead of someone without the feat.

And that, unlike the GWM version it doesn't become useless half the time because you already used your bonus action.

Remove ads