• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LOTR Movie Soundtrack wasnt that good...

Rashak Mani

First Post
First let me say that I think soundtracks make a movie... Conan had a great soundtrack... Highlander without Queen´s music wouldnt even figure as a great movie... Patriot Games, Last of the Mohicans, etc... all of these have that extra "wow" due to the music that gives the movie atmosphere and gets an emotional reaction from the public.

So back to Lord of the Rings... during the movie some of the soundtrack fits in well enough... but isnt GREAT... sometimes I thought the music was actually too cheesy... trying to be dramatic yet sounding like a cheap attempt at grandiosity. Hearing the CD later made this even clearer... the music is nice but nothing much...

As a contrast, last week I saw an Indian movie at a film festival, "Lagaan"... and was astounded at how good the music based mainly on drums and singing was good and fitted the movie story. It gave an extra "flummph" to the story... and we are talking about a few million dollars movie as compared to a mega budget.

Did it spoil the LOTR movie ? No... did it make a difference... Yes I would say... a more dramatic and well placed music would have helped set emotional atmosphere... would give it a fantastic reaction. LOTR is an eye catcher... but left hearing a little aside in my honest opinion. Good but not great. Worth an Oscar ? Hardly.

Zealots may flame me now...

Last edited:

WSmith

First Post
Not going to flame you. But I do have to say it took a good 2 or 3 spins before I liked it. I felt the same way after the first time I heard it. But now, I just love it. Keep listening, it will grow on you.

Except for maybe Star Wars, any movie soundtrack against "Conan the Barbarian" is like a running a race between Drew Carey and Carl Lewis. :D

Also, FWIW, I tend to like the HP soundtrack better than LOTR, even though one could pick out John Williams' obvious Star Warsish similarities.

Rashak Mani

First Post
By HP you mean Harry Potter ? I didnt notice it too much... will check it out better.

I have to agree comparing with Conan is kind of cowardice... but even then LOTR could have been better. The indian movie showed me that its possible and not a one in a life time breakthru like Conan...

FWIW ? I havent been acquainted with this one yet :)

Razuur

First Post
I too wasn't sure the first time I listened. Everytime after that it got better for me.

By the 5th time it was AWESOME.

Same effect the Gladiator soundtrack had.

Razuur

Soundtrack wasn't good? I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more if I tried. :)

True, when listened to on CD, it's not as dramatic as some. But it's still very much worth listening to (it's become a standard part of the rotation for my gaming CDs). More to the point, though, that's not the best way to judge.

Obviously, the only fair criteria for good vs. bad soundtracks is, how did they work in the context of the movie? And with LOTR, I thought it was perfect. Not too overwhelming, not so much in the background that it had no impact. Expertly balanced.

Just my opinion, of course.

Rashak Mani

First Post
In the movie the calmer music was well placed and so on... yet on the action moments it fell a tad below my obviusly demanding standards. :)

Once Enya was good music for me... now its not as good as other stuff I have had the chance to hear... I might be more demanding in my musical tastes for fantasy.

Other movies did it much much better... which can as mentioned before not be a fair comparison...

Last edited:

kkoie

First Post
Bite your tongue! The LOTR soundtrack was outstanding and well deserved of the awards and recognition it has recieved.

K Koie

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads