• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotBS Looking for a good lead-in to WotBS

Marcon

First Post
Hi,

Scouring of Gate Pass is a very good but also very tough adventure. I want my PCs to fully live the 1st level stressful moments so I don't feel like pimping them too much before starting. Could anyone suggest a good lead-in to the module? I've been thinking about "Rumble in the Wizard's Tower" from Goodman Games/Wicked Fantasy Factory. Surprisingly, even though it looks like a basic dungeon crawl with cool additional features like finishing moves, the background is promising. Here's a snippet from the intro (Potential spoilers ahead) :

King from Nation A marries Princess from Nation B to somewhat secure peace between the 2 kingdoms. Princess from Nation B is then "captured" by the main villain who has a tower in Nation A. I'm putting "Captured" in quotes because the princess is actually in love with the main villain.

Nation B is understandably upset and war is about to break out again (Hmmm, see the link?) because they suspect Nation A is behind it all. The 2 lovers are even hoping to storm Nation A Castle during the chaos of the ensuing war. I really see some potential to set the tower in Gate Pass, Shahalesti could be Nation A and Ragesia could be Nation B.

Anyone is familiar with both WotBS and that adventure? Or did anyone use something else to lead their players to Scouring of Gate Pass?

-Marcon

Marcon

First Post
talarei07 said:
do you want them be higher level or what?

Exactly, without having them plainly start at Level 2. I am now set on using "Rumble in the Wizard's Tower" a few days before the start of "The Scouring of Gate Pass". There is a perfectly acceptable reason why the town military wouldn't give a damn about a self-proclaimed warlord brewing mischief in his tower, considering Ragesia's army is almost at the city's door. Plus I like one of the potential outcomes listed in the book :

"...The king..., knowing of the heroes' resourcefulness, might hire them for any number of dangerous special ops missions".

-Marcon

talarei07

First Post
you might consider trying the burning plague (free download from wizards).

Possible adventure spoiler
Put the mine town just outside gate pass and the main villain a ragesian

DonTadow

First Post
Marcon said:
Exactly, without having them plainly start at Level 2. I am now set on using "Rumble in the Wizard's Tower" a few days before the start of "The Scouring of Gate Pass". There is a perfectly acceptable reason why the town military wouldn't give a damn about a self-proclaimed warlord brewing mischief in his tower, considering Ragesia's army is almost at the city's door. Plus I like one of the potential outcomes listed in the book :

"...The king..., knowing of the heroes' resourcefulness, might hire them for any number of dangerous special ops missions".

-Marcon
My pcs followed the path of politician/adventures before starting it at 3rd level. They completed the iron giant and rumble in the tower. They also did a couple of basic mystery adventures from dungeon magazines.

Remove ads