• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Limits of morality in the game?

CruelSummerLord

First Post
Lots of interesting posts all around.

First off, the paladin example is, as several people pointed out, unfair unless the paladin knows this beforehand. Such things would, of course, be explained to the paladin's player-that the slaughter of humanoids is not only condoned, but viewed as a virtue. If he were to hesitate, he would be punished with a loss of spells, but he would NOT have lost his paladinhood in this example.

And the last thing I'd want to do is upset any woman players at the table. If a woman is upset by this, I can drop it. Besides, for every place that treats women as second-class citizens, there is another place that does not.

Slavery in Nyrond comes from the blood feud between Nyrond and Aerdy, that dates back to the days when they were nomadic Oerid tribes known as the Nehron and Aerdi. It is specifically set up to stick it to their blood enemies. They are not "cousin nations"-in some cases, the hatred among 'family' can be even more intense than that between strangers. It's only very grudgingly that Nyrond and Ahlissa have called a truce to open trade relations after the Wars.

I suppose my major worry is that, by including things like this, I am opening myself to accusations of having these beliefs myself-something which I obviously do not, of course!

Vegepygmy

First Post
CruelSummerLord said:
I suppose my major worry is that, by including things like this, I am opening myself to accusations of having these beliefs myself...
Only from total crackpots. I include evil wizards who summon demons in my games. That doesn't mean I practice diabolism.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
CruelSummerLord said:
This is a thread about the differences in morals and norms between our real world and the game world. Namely, what should be done about differences between them. How should we as DMs and players handle these sorts of things?

Examples:

1) Paladin is part of an adventuring band clearing out a goblin hold. The adventurers win out and finally have the goblin women and children cornered, and the paladin persuades his companions to let them go.
The next morning, the paladin prays for his spells, and is refused them. He is informed that he has sinned by allowing the goblin women and children to live. They are not humans or halflings-goblins do not deserve the same considerations.

Before the game, define (as the DM) what good is and is not, so there is no confusion. A paladin would not be confused, after years of training, so his player should not be confused either.
This will create player feedback. This feedback will lead to a discussion which may help you and your group more comfortably flesh out good, evil, and what alignments they really want to play in your game.
Just my thoughts.

CruelSummerLord said:
2) The mercenaries guild in town denies admittance to women, elves and halflings because of their perceived physical weakness. The mintworkers guild denies admittance to dwarves because of their supposed lust for precious metals. Dwarf-run taverns deny admittance to elves, humans and half-orcs. Other taverns only allow male humans on the premises. Women are not allowed to join the armed forces or hold positions in government.

Inform your players beforehand that the setting is this unfair, unreasonable place you described.
If they are sincerely uncomfortable with this, don't start in that setting.
If they agree to tolerate it but their characters would have a problem with it, one possibility is that you could make the town an adversary of the group. The group becomes marshalls out to clean up the town. Or nasties out to give these elitists all the trouble they deserve. Leave alignment completely out of the picture. Make sure the party sticks together on the issues!

CruelSummerLord said:
3) The buying and trading of slaves in the kingdom of Nyrond is illegal, except when it comes to Aerdi. Aerdi soldiers taken prisoner in the Greyhawk Wars, and Aerdi civilians brought back by Nyrondese troops, have caused the slave markets to boom. Proud noble knights and wealthty young debutantes might now find themselves reduced to digging ditches or staffing brothels, with the appropriate treatment.

An evil party could have a lot of fun with this one. They proudly serve Nyrond (at a high price) while enjoying their own personal slaves (make certain all your players are comfortable with this beforehand.)
A good party could free slaves, become outlaws, become heroes in noble Veluna, start a war between Veluna and Nyrond, and lead the charge of Veluna against the corrupt and decadent Nyrond. When North Province and the Humanoids of the Bone March threatened from the other side, Nyrond would be sure to bow to Veluna's demands that all slaves be freed! Or so the characters might hope. And the trouble and politics would go from there ...
A neutral party? Bah, boring. Let's go into the Adri and find those Ice Elves we heard about.

CruelSummerLord said:
If you were to introduce these types of gray morality into your setting, how would you handle it if one of your players protested?

(from bitter experience) Not run that particular setting with that particular player. He will be unhappy, and that unhappiness will be contagious, in real bad ways. Try to know my players beforehand, ask them what they are and are not comfortable with, before creating a setting or choosing one.

CruelSummerLord said:
I will say that I rather resent the political correctness that seems to be creeping into game products lately, and in a way these changes would be my reaction against them, although of course I hope everyone realizes that these are not my own actual, real attitudes in such matters, and come mainly from my desire to make a more evocative and grimmer setting. Such things as racism, sexism and slavery are obviously disgusting and abhorrent in real life, but our real world is not as enlightened and forward-thinking as it should be, so why should a pseudo-medieval fantasy world be any different?

I did not know TSR subscribed to the Comic Book Code until close to the end of TSR.
When I first read the Code, I mistook it for TSR's own code. I practically fell over in shock, then died laughing. Said Code had nothing in common with nearly any of the games I had been in, especially the early ones with younger players (can we say: neutral evil is the beginning, the middle, and the end?)
If you dislike what you call the political correctness, read the Comic Book Code. And realize what you've missed out on!

Edena_of_Neith

Hussar

Legend
CruelSummerLord said:
This is a thread about the differences in morals and norms between our real world and the game world. Namely, what should be done about differences between them. How should we as DMs and players handle these sorts of things?

Examples:

1) Paladin is part of an adventuring band clearing out a goblin hold. The adventurers win out and finally have the goblin women and children cornered, and the paladin persuades his companions to let them go.

The next morning, the paladin prays for his spells, and is refused them. He is informed that he has sinned by allowing the goblin women and children to live. They are not humans or halflings-goblins do not deserve the same considerations.

As has been pointed out, this should have been dealt with at chargen. If DM pulled this on me (again - since I've had DM's who did the surpise gotcha crap before), I'd walk.

2) The mercenaries guild in town denies admittance to women, elves and halflings because of their perceived physical weakness. The mintworkers guild denies admittance to dwarves because of their supposed lust for precious metals. Dwarf-run taverns deny admittance to elves, humans and half-orcs. Other taverns only allow male humans on the premises. Women are not allowed to join the armed forces or hold positions in government.

This is actually not a moral issue and has nothing to do with good/evil. This is entirely a Law issue since the rules in question are not based on any sort of moral code. I see nothing in here that I haven't seen in many already published settings like Scarred Lands.

3) The buying and trading of slaves in the kingdom of Nyrond is illegal, except when it comes to Aerdi. Aerdi soldiers taken prisoner in the Greyhawk Wars, and Aerdi civilians brought back by Nyrondese troops, have caused the slave markets to boom. Proud noble knights and wealthty young debutantes might now find themselves reduced to digging ditches or staffing brothels, with the appropriate treatment.

A stickier one. Is slavery a moral issue? Possibly. I would argue that a 19th century slave trade certainly would be. Earlier cultures, like Egypt, not so much. There is a fair difference between slavery and forced labour or even indentured servitude. Again, I can see why the setting publishers shy away from this sort of thing in mainstream settings. It is a touchy subject.

If you were to introduce these types of gray morality into your setting, how would you handle it if one of your players protested?

I will say that I rather resent the political correctness that seems to be creeping into game products lately, and in a way these changes would be my reaction against them, although of course I hope everyone realizes that these are not my own actual, real attitudes in such matters, and come mainly from my desire to make a more evocative and grimmer setting. Such things as racism, sexism and slavery are obviously disgusting and abhorrent in real life, but our real world is not as enlightened and forward-thinking as it should be, so why should a pseudo-medieval fantasy world be any different?

Thoughts?

I agree with Edena. This is hardly a new issue. I recall when Demons weren't called Demons. How's that for PC treatment? As far as my players go, I've done it and it works fine. I've done other campaigns where I didn't. If the setting calls for it, sure, no problem.

S'mon

Legend
CruelSummerLord said:
Slavery in Nyrond comes from the blood feud between Nyrond and Aerdy, that dates back to the days when they were nomadic Oerid tribes known as the Nehron and Aerdi. It is specifically set up to stick it to their blood enemies. They are not "cousin nations"-in some cases, the hatred among 'family' can be even more intense than that between strangers. It's only very grudgingly that Nyrond and Ahlissa have called a truce to open trade relations after the Wars.

My 1983 World of Greyhawk box set says the Nyrondese royal family is a junior branch of th old Aerdian royal family (Rax). Your Greyhawk may differ. Anyway, there's my point - you talk about 'hatred among family'. But that is very unlikely IMO to lead to an exception to a general ban on slave-holding. You may hate them, but they're still a lot more like you than those Rovers of the Barrens or Fruztii.

Edit: I'm not telling you how to run your campaign. It is a fantasy world, after all. Maybe Heironeous gets his kicks seeing those Hextorists enslaved. You do as you like. :)

Last edited:

Sleeping Dragon

First Post
I'm not sure where any problem would be...a huge number of fantasy RPGs feature plots wherein diabolical mages summon demons to take over/destroy the world or similar things. Compared to this, elements of racism/sexism/whateverism are fairly minor, I'd have thought.

I've always tried to insert moral ambiguities into my campaigns, they generally make for the best roleplaying, and I can just sit back and relax while my players debate what to do :D My current campaign's featured (among other things) incest, pedophilia, murder, torture, and rape as fairly significant plot points, but my players know me well enough to know that what occurs in game and what my NPCs do and say is not a reflection on my own beliefs. And by the same token, when I cook up situations where my PCs have to answer questions like 'do the ends justify the means?' and the ever-recurrent 'what do we do with people who surrender?', I know that whatever they do is simply them playing their character.

The latter's resulted in some very amusing moments - in one short campaign, my character resolved the issue of surrendering opponents quite well. As none of us were comfortable with simply killing them out of hand, but we didn't want them to be able to run off with information about where we were and what we were doing, so my PC (with very high Bluff) would pump the prisoner full of misinformation by asking questions about things we didn't actually care about, giving them false impressions of our goals and what we were going to do next, and then we would release them. This solved our moral quandary, fulfilled a tactical goal, and forced the GM to insert interesting campaign details as my character asked about villages and people we had no intention of ever having anything to do with.

delericho

Legend
CruelSummerLord said:

IMC there is no distinction between real-world morality and in-game morality. If something is labelled Evil in the real-world, then it's just as Evil in-game. And if a character wishes to retain a Good alignment, he has to act accordingly.

That said, I don't provide a clean black-and-white world. Characters, settings and situations are complex, and the PCs therefore have to deal with problems where it is not clear what is right and what is wrong. Unfortunately for Paladins in my games, the bad guys tend not to wear black hats, the good guys are not always entirely pure, and everyone has an agenda.

(I do match that with a charitable view of character morality. If you make a mistake and trust the wrong person, then the setting might respond, but you won't get an alignment shift right away... you need a pattern of behaviour to change alignment. Also, you can't be 'accidentally' Evil. You need to consciously choose to perform Evil actions to become Evil. Of course, you might not recognise the act as Evil, but you do have to consciously choose to do it.)

Not IMC. Slaughtering the women and children would be more likely to cause a fall from grace.

Some or all of these can be found in some or all cultures in my setting. Those cultures are generally mistaken in their actions, but that doesn't prevent them holding them... just like in the real world. Whether their attitudes and actions are Evil or just a rather unpleasant Neutral depends on how far they take them.

My campaign draws a clear line on this one: slavery is the very definition of Lawful Evil. Paladins are expected to not own slaves, and to oppose the practice of slavery where they encounter it. If this practice is a blight on an otherwise Good society, the Paladin must tread carefully, because he has to use Lawful means to try to persuade the culture to change. If it's a feature of an otherwise Evil society (as is more common), the Paladin is free to forment revolution, to change the entire structure at the top.

Note that while I say that a Paladin is expected to oppose slavery, it does not follow that the Paladin must do so right now, or to the exclusion of other goals. If the Paladin is engaged in a desperate quest to destroy the artifact that will give the Dark Lord unending dominion, he's a bit busy to take on the local slave-trade. It's a battle for another day, and although he won't like doing it, he will have to leave it.

(Caveat: there is a theoretical scenario where a person might sell himself into slavery, either as payment of his debts or as a punishment imposed by the judicial system. In this case, the slavery might not be considered Evil, probably depending on the treatment of the slave. This is one of those areas where things get murky. In such a case, the Paladin is entitled to follow his own course, as long as he does so consistently.)

My players have never protested. If one did, I suspect my response would be that perhaps this isn't the game for him.

and come mainly from my desire to make a more evocative and grimmer setting. Such things as racism, sexism and slavery are obviously disgusting and abhorrent in real life, but our real world is not as enlightened and forward-thinking as it should be, so why should a pseudo-medieval fantasy world be any different?

I don't like the idea of not calling things that we consider to be Evil, Evil. Either these things are Evil, and should be recognised as such, or they are not, and we should adjust our thinking. And just because the vast majority of inhabitants of the setting consider something to be Good doesn't mean it is good - it can also mean that the vast majority of inhabitants of the world are deluded.

So, while slavery exists in my world, and while the vast majority of inhabitants of my world consider it to be both okay and a facet of the status quo, that still doesn't make it anything other than Evil.

Blessed Kitten

First Post
LostSoul said:
I'll pose a provocative question:

If you like moral dilemmas in RPGs, why play D&D?
Because I like D&D, and moral dilemmas are system neutral?

Yes, I am aware that alignment exists. I do not personally care for it as a mechanic, but it does not in anyway prevent moral dilemmas.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Blessed Kitten said:
Because I like D&D, and moral dilemmas are system neutral?

Some systems support making moral decisions (or at least making clear what moral decisions players are interested in).

Remove ads