Leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
azmodean said:
The reason for the feat having a no from the judges is to avoid someone taking multiple characters into an adventure, which can be a hassle for the DM and other players. It doesn't look like they are even considering budging on that, so I was just wondering if non-adventuring cohorts/followers would be more acceptable.

As a DM, there are times when a cohort could be a boon to my adventures. I think the default should be for both cohorts and followers to stay home, but I don't want to be straitjacketed by the rules from including, for example, a clerical cohort when my adventure is recruiting on a 'day' when the RDI is empty of them (I am currently running an undead based adventure with no cleric, so I know it can happen).

Also there is the problem of when the "adventure" starts. A lot of adventures have an "information gathering" prep phase before the action starts, and I see nothing wrong with a character using all of his or her resources at that time.

Of course there is another solution - a high level character could take lower level PCs as cohorts of followers. ;) Simply change the feat so that the limits on numbers and levels are the same, but they recieve moral bonuses (ala bardic music) when loyaly following. of course they would be constantly cycling through, but it would be an interesting boon for first level characters to be able to come in under the wing of a high level one for their first adventure.

azmodean

First Post
I really like that idea. It could allow for an apprenticeship type situation. Might want to make it a completely different feat though to avoid confusion with the SRD leadership feat. Then again it may be manageable to redefine the cohort as being a PC and allow the followers as non-adventuring and non-combatants. Not sure how that meshes with Velmont's intent though, since I think he wants a moderate-level npc to run the shop when he's gone.

Summary suggestion: Followers are NPCs and cannot go on adventures. The cohort can either be a non-adventuring NPC or an adventuring PC who gains some benefits from following the PC who has the Leadership feat. (probably a morale bonus of some sort.)

Should the cohort get normal xp or cohort xp? Cohort xp is normal xp*(cohort level/leader's level) So for instance a lvl 1 cohort following a lvl 5 pc would get 75xp from a "typical" encounter, but a lvl 3 cohort in the same situation would get 225xp. In other words, they would get typical xp for their level, but it would be a significantly more dangerous situation. (and they might get significantly more treasure than they would in a normal adventure)

Velmont

First Post
OK, here a new proposal for the leadership feat:

Leadership

This feat act just as discribe in the SRD, with these exceptions:

A cohort can come into an adventure only if the master approved it. The cohort is controlled by the player. The master may restrict the cohort's action at any time.

Followers represent a number of non-combattant under the character wings. They can be employee who run and guard the character's shop, followers of the church of the character or a theatre troop who perform with the character. They will never appear in an adventure and so, will never be stated.

Only "Has a familiar, special mount, or animal companion", "Recruits a cohort of a different alignment", "Caused the death of a cohort" modifier to leadership score are applied. All other are not applied.

Ok, so I understand that some might not like the idea of the cohort, as it is like having a second character around. But I've seen many player playing there familiar/animal companion as a character. I must say that everytimes I've seen that, it was nicely made and pretty interesting. Also, the master can always refuse the cohort if he don't like it, and have some control over it, so the master can always forbid the cohort if he doesn't like the idea, or if the story line split into two group, he might restrict the cohort to follow the character, ect...

The follower is just there to give more background. A plyer who build a monastery could see how many monk have establish themselves in it just by his leadership score. As they will never be in an adventure, it will just stay a background.

The leadership score modifier are ignored, except for three. Those three can be easily conted as they are fact. Do you have a familiar? Yes! Your cohort have the same alignment? No! How many cohort have been killed yet? 0! All other a subjective (like greatness) and so are too much trouble to handle.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Before I give any approval or disapproval of the current set-up, a write-up of the exact mechanics we would be implementing would be appreciated.

Velmont

First Post
You mean this? All text in italic contain teh modification I've suggested. All the norml text is taken exactly as it is form the SRD.

[SBLOCK]Leadership [General]
Prerequisite
Character level 6th.

Benefits
Having this feat enables the character to attract loyal companions and devoted followers, subordinates who assist her. See the table below for how many followers the character can recruit.

Leadership Score
A character’s base Leadership score equals his level plus any Charisma modifier. In order to take into account negative Charisma modifiers, this table allows for very low Leadership scores, but the character must still be 6th level or higher in order to gain the Leadership feat. Outside factors can affect a character’s Leadership score, as detailed above.

Cohort Level
The character can attract a cohort of up to this level. Regardless of a character’s Leadership score, he can only recruit a cohort who is two or more levels lower than himself. The cohort should be equipped with gear appropriate for its level. A character can try to attract a cohort of a particular race, class, and alignment. The cohort’s alignment may not be opposed to the leader’s alignment on either the law-vs-chaos or good-vs-evil axis, and the leader takes a Leadership penalty if he recruits a cohort of an alignment different from his own.

A cohort can come into an adventure only if the master approved it. The cohort is controlled by the player. The master may restrict the cohort's action at any time.

Cohorts earn XP as follows:

The cohort does not count as a party member when determining the party’s XP.

Divide the cohort’s level by the level of the PC with whom he or she is associated (the character with the Leadership feat who attracted the cohort).

Multiply this result by the total XP awarded to the PC and add that number of experience points to the cohort’s total.

If a cohort gains enough XP to bring it to a level one lower than the associated PC’s character level, the cohort does not gain the new level—its new XP total is 1 less than the amount needed attain the next level.

Number of Followers by Level
The character can lead up to the indicated number of characters of each level. Followers are generally low-level NPCs. Followers represent a number of non-combattant under the character wings. They can be employee who run and guard the character's shop, followers of the church of the character or a theatre troop who perform with the character. They will not appear in an adventure and so, will never be stated.

Followers don’t earn experience and thus don’t gain levels. However, when a character with Leadership attains a new level, the player consults the table above to determine if she has acquired more followers, some of which may be higher level than the existing followers. (You don’t consult the table to see if your cohort gains levels, however, because cohorts earn experience on their own.)

Leadership Modifiers
Several factors can affect a character’s Leadership score, causing it to vary from the base score (character level + Cha modifier). Most of these modifiers are subjective and hard to handle in LEW. The only modifiers that can applied are objective modifier. They may apply only when the character tries to attract a cohort, see Table: Attracting Cohorts.
Code:
[B]Table: Leadership Leadership[/B]
Score   Cohort Number of Followers by Level 
        Level  1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 
1 or -    —     —   —   —   —   —   — 
2       1st     —   —   —   —   —   — 
3       2nd     —   —   —   —   —   — 
4       3rd     —   —   —   —   —   — 
5       3rd     —   —   —   —   —   — 
6       4th     —   —   —   —   —   — 
7       5th     —   —   —   —   —   — 
8       5th     —   —   —   —   —   —