• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Jaquaying the dungeon - a term to avoid

MGibster

Legend
My understanding is that “Gygaxian” just means “like Gygax(‘s approach)”, and can refer to anything from writing style to design sensibility. “Gygaxian naturalism” specifically refers to a sort of pseudo-naturalism used to justify the presence of obviously unnatural fantasy elements in an environment. For example, saying that the Caves of Chaos were some kind of social experiment engineered by a mad wizard.
Ah, that makes sense. To me, Gygaxian just means something utterly ridiculous seemingly designed piss off and or punish players for having the temerity to participate in a module.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Ah, that makes sense. To me, Gygaxian just means something utterly ridiculous seemingly designed piss off and or punish players for having the temerity to participate in a module.
And that's why the game became a phenomenon, because Gygax was a horrible monster.

Maybe you should go reread your 1E DMG.

MGibster

Legend
And that's why the game became a phenomenon, because Gygax was a horrible monster.
Ligthen up. While I certainly have no desire to return to AD&D, I had a good enough time with it when I was younger and am pleased as punch to acknowledge Gygax and others for their work creating a new game that's become an enduring classic.

Maybe you should go reread your 1E DMG.
People read the DMG?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Is it still okay for me to describe a dungeon or other aspect of a module as Gygaxian when it has something completely ridiculous in it?
Gygaxian feels more like a prose style as much as a dungeon design principle.

Since Gygax was, loke, the second or third person to even try writing a published adventure, I'd say pretty much all Dungeons can accurately be called Gygaxian, om the other hand.

Oligopsony

Explorer
I much prefer “nonlinear dungeon” and “looping” a dungeon, simply because going with another non-transparent phrase isn’t going to help with anything.

“Gygaxian” means a lot of different things, obviously; “Gygaxian prose” and “Gygaxian naturalism” are separate concepts.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
The new term is terrible, self-aggrandizing crap. When I want to talk about maps that are designed for exploration, I’m just going to call them exploration-oriented maps. I like Justin’s series on the topic, but I’m not going to use the term.

I thought the original term was a nice acknowledgement of Jennell’s contributions to the hobby, but if she doesn’t want her name on it, then I’m going to respect that and stop using it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads