• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [?] Is there an official ruling on 3E Psionic Wild Talents?

Tome

Explorer
Have there been any official WOTC or D20 System rulings on Psionic Wild Talents? I know that in the PsiHB it indicates that Wild Talents are players with only a few levels of a multiclassed psionic character class, but that doesn't feel right to me.

Additionally, I do not like the idea of adding the Psionic template to a player character - too powerful even with CR adjustment.

I am working on a house rule, but an Official or semi-official ruling would be much better - I hope - than what I can come up with.

Crothian

First Post
In house Rules forem you can find a few different options. However, ther e is no official wild talent by WotC or any other D20 publisher, yet. And I haven't heard of any coming out, either.

there is a template in the Psihandbook to make creatures psionic? Why not just use that with an ECL tagged on to it?

for those that don't have the Psionic Handbook or don't read the SRD here it is

Psionic Creature Template

“Psionic” is a template that can be added to any creature that does not already possess a psionic template (referred to hereafter as the “base creature”).

A psionic creature uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Special Attacks: A psionic creature retains all the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the following, according to the base creature’s Hit Dice.
Psionic Powers (Sp): A psionic creature possesses the indicated number of psionic powers, which it can manifest at will. The power’s level can be no more than the creature’s Hit Dice + 2. Psionic creatures freely manifest their powers but do not need a minimum score in the key ability for a given discipline. They otherwise follow the standard rules for manifesting.

Psionic Attack/Defense Modes (Sp): A psionic creature possesses the indicated number of attack and defense modes from the five of each available. The creature does not pay power points to activate a psionic attack or defense mode but freely manifests it. Psionic creatures otherwise follow all the rules for psionic combat.

Power Resistance (Ex): A psionic creature may have power resistance (PR) as noted for its HD. Power resistance and spell resistance are equally effective against both magic and psionics.

Special Qualities: A psionic creature retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains telepathy.

Telepathy (Su): The creature can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 feet that has a language.

Saves: Same as the base creature.
Abilities: Same as the base creature.
Skills: Same as the base creature.
Feats: Same as the base creature.

Climate/Terrain: Same as the base creature.
Organization: Same as the base creature.
Challenge Rating:
Up to 3 HD, as base creature +1.
4–7 HD, as base creature +2.
8–15 HD, as base creature +3.
16+ HD, as base creature +4.

Treasure: Same as the base creature.
Alignment: Same as the base creature.
Advancement: Same as the base creature.

Special Note: Creatures with more than one head, such as a hydra, usually possess the psionic powers of just one creature, not many.

Table: The Psionic Template

Hit Psionic Attack Defense Power
Dice Powers* Modes** Modes** Resistance††
---- ------- ------- ------- ------------
1–3 1 1† 1 —
4–7 3 2† 2 —
8–12 6 3† 3 —
13–15 9 4† All 15
16+ 13 All All 25

*?Unique psionic creatures (such as those described in the Monster Manual) possess the number of powers noted in their entry when it differs from this value. Unique psionic creatures may also ignore normal restrictions to a known power’s level (see below).
**?Psionic creatures in the Monster Manual do gain psionic attack and defense modes as noted here, even though their entry does not mention these.
†?Creatures of less than 15 HD never have mind blast unless they are mind flayer kin.
††?Psionic creatures in the Monster Manual have power resistance (PR) equal to their spell resistance (SR), if any. Those without spell resistance never gain power resistance, even if they have 13 or more Hit Dice.

Remove ads